Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - I'm beginning to feel like a sucker...
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
surfinsnow
Veteran Member

Default I'm beginning to feel like a sucker...

In November, 2008, I received a nice bonus from my company so I decided to finally buy the quality gear I wanted, instead of having to look for year-end clearances or discontinued items. I chose brand new everything (2009); A Never Summer Titan, Flow NXT FRX (supposedly their high-end super-durable big mountain binding) and Flow "The One" lace-up bindings (again, supposedly a stiff, durable big-mountain boot).

Anyway, the Titan rocks in terms of ride, stability, overall performance. I love it...but it's not too durable, at least compared to my last board. After what is now almost two seasons, it's got edge dings, surface scratches, generally well-used. I guess that's not a bad thing. I've ridden it hard, and it has the scars to prove it. However, my NXT FRX bindings have already had to have the tension cable replaced because it was nearly frayed through. Then last week, while packing my gear for a day in Vermont, I notice that my Flow boots have split along the seem on the outside of my back foot (back foot is the binding that broke, too).

Anyway, Flow sold these boots and bindings as being for aggressive riding and durability. I like to think I'm all that, and I do like to ride fast; I just got back from two weeks in Tahoe and the steeps at Kirkwood and Alpine, etc. But seriously, should my gear be falling apart already? I spent lots of money on this shit, and I'm looking at already having to replace the boots. Is two seasons normal wear and tear? My older, lesser stuff lasted longer, but I admit I wasn't as advanced a rider. I'm just a little dismayed -- I spent $1200 for a new kit in 2008, and I'm looking to have start replacing stuff already.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote