Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Sierra Crew/Team, K2 Podium-Feedback needed for a progressing beginner

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  wisconewb 
#1 ·
This is my first season riding. I currently have an old but in very nice condition Burton Cruzer 160 (knot design and previous rental if that helps) with Burton SI bindings that I bought of eBay to see if I got the feel for the sport. Needless to say I'm hooked and want to look for a nicer setup. I have not taken any classes and have a LOT to learn. Still find myself catching edges and flying, but I believe I’m progressing nicely considering the conditions here in Wisconsin. Not interested in park riding. After some research I’ve decided on three models 159W Sierra Crew, 159 Sierra Team, and 159 or 162 K2 Podium. Feedback on them? I’m close to 6’ 180 lbs. 10 boot size. Recommendations on any other models, sizing, and bindings are welcomed and appreciated. When I use the application Burton uses online to recommend boards it gives me high end 161-162 size boards. I find it very difficult to carve on my Cruiser. Why is that? Thanks guys!!

G
#2 ·
Not sure about the other boards, but I have your approximate physical statistics (6"1, 200lbs, 9.5 boot) and just bought the K2 Podium. From all the research I've done, it's a good board for most conditions and most all mountain riding styles. The newest tech helps with carving - most people riding the latest boards are saying that it takes less effort to turn and just makes riding easier and more fun.

The reason you might have trouble with the older board is most likely because you are still learning, but could be just because the board is not as advanced as some of the new models out there. Just a suggestion, but if I were you I would stick with the cruiser till you get comfortable and stop catching edges. By that time you'll know your style better and what you like about riding. Then you can re-visit new boards that dial in on those traits.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice jumbo! I’ve been able to minimize catching edges since I was making a big error while going fast; I was flat and not on an edge. The reason I was thinking on an upgrade is that I’m seeing so many good deals around and thought that I could get more carving performance, less heel slip, and my board setup weights a ton!! All mountain/freeride is what I like. Is your Podium 159 or 162? I’ve read it feels like a longer board. I appreciate the reply!!

#6 ·
Got a 158 Sierra Crew, Flow Quattro bindings, and Burton Moto boots. :) Unfortunately temps. have been high this past couple of days here and it looks that I won't be able to try it out until next season. Now debating whether to slightly detune the tip/tail or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.