Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Burton Custom K2 Equivalent?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss View Post
Looking for some guidance as to what board to buy for my first snowboard. Here's some background info...

Weight: 180
Boot size: 10
Riding style: Freeride
Budget: $200 - $350 (looking for a sale this time of year)
Primary Location: East Coast

I just got into snowboarding this year but I'm hooked. Catching on pretty quick I think. Riding greens and blues still but I want a board that I will be able to progress well with. Most of my riding will be out on the East Coast because I live out here, but if the board can handle powder out west that's a bonus. Don't plan to do many tricks...more interested in just riding all-mountain.

A good friend and avid snowboarder strongly recommended getting a Burton Custom. Although I know it is solid advice I want to stick with K2 (will take suggestions of all board manufacturers however). I found some really good deals lately and picked up some K2 boots/binding. I have K2 Darko BOA boots and K2 Auto Uprise bindings.

I basically want all the board I can handle right now so I have plenty of room for improvement. I like to have good gear. I've been looking into the K2 Podium as a good choice. I also found a good deal on the Turbo Dream, but I'm not sure the All Terrain Rocker camber is the right choice for me at this point.

I've done a lot of research reading reviews but I'm hoping for some specific advice. Thanks in advance for any help.
The K2 Turbo Dream is a great board for you actually. The rocker on that board is very mellow which will reduce edge catching and make powder riding a dream. Also due to the low profile rocker on that board, it kills groomers. This year was the first time I ever got on rockered boards. The freestyle oriented boards with jib rockers were too much for me. I found mellow rockers like K2's all-terrain, Burtons V-Rocker, and Ride's Low-Rise rockers to be excellent.

Another great K2 board is the Slayblade. This board has no camber which feels damn good under your feet. Between the two though, I found the Turbo Dream more fun to ride. Thing is, I like to freestyle all-mountain meaning I hit natural jumps, do ground tricks, and do wall hits. If you just want to bomb down the runs, the Slayblade might be a better choice.

Oh, and your size range is 155-160. I am also 180lbs and size 9.5-10 boots and I ride a 158 for all-mountain and a 156 for more freestyling.

Last edited by Leo; 03-30-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote