Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do we need more mods?

5K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  DC5R 
#1 ·
This place is far more active than it was a couple of years ago, I think we need a few more mods in different time zones, especially to deal with the spam that pops up.

#6 ·
Has anyone else noticed that Boarderaholic hasn't been on since March 3rd.:dunno:

.... I believe this calls for a change in mod(s). If you're going to hold the title, than have the decency to do your job.

(Before anyone starts going off on a hate tangent, let it stand that I have nothing against her or any of the other mods)

#9 · (Edited)
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 39 seconds.

^ That, is bullshit. Like the poster above me, I am in a different time zone to the US and this place gets spammed like a mofo when all the 'mericans are sleeping. Im almost near my threshold for not caring about spam anymore.

The funny thing is...there is currently three spam threads in the site/news thread area.

And yes, i know im a fvcken noob and should stfu...

#13 ·
This forum has the most spam of any forum I've ever seen...

However the traffic here is pretty high, so it's on the radar.

Something was done a little while back that slowed the spam for a second, but whatever it was has been figured out and the spam is back.

I've gotten to the point where I just ignore it, but it is still a mess. Kinda gives me the same feeling I get when I see a bum begging for money. It doesn't really hurt anything, but it makes the place look like shit.

#16 ·
I haven't really noticed any spam at all, but I'm not really one to talk, I've only been a member for about a month, and I'm also on east coast time for now which is probably when most traffic is. I do agree with a flagging system though, where if you were flagged say 10 times within a day, you were locked out for a period of time, or just not be allowed to post.

#22 ·
Overall I think you guys are running a good forum. Try to get a question answered on MacRumors lol. Their all dicks about it, it takes a week for a response and 90% of the time people get bitched at for asking something that seemed obvious to the geeks answereing. Some of us have lives lol. But yeah this is a good forum and people are nice about answering stuff. The only really problem I remember was Kister haha he was weird. But ive only been here a few months. To answer the question about the mods it wouldnt hurt. It did take awhile to get rid of kister and that was a slight pain.

#26 ·
You know i am a data guy. I like numbers they tell the story. When I was at UTC Carrier I was bigtime into data numbers. I was always on the phone with the head adm for the system trying to get data that normal reports didnt run. Reasoning is usually its the data systems dont normally automatically generate that really is the most important:laugh:

With all these spammers that come on I was questioning myself as to how many we actually get as a number or percentage if you will. Of course my next thought was how many members out of that total are truly valid members? When I joined this forum I was member 1214 I believe. Now we are up to 17K+ three years later which is excellent growth btw. But what is the true growth.

My questions are...

1) Out of the 17K+ members registered on this site how many have come back in the last three months....who have been members for 1 or more years and have logged in ten or more times??

2) How many members registered on this site have not come back in the last three months and have been members for 1 or more years and have 9 or less log in's ??

3) How many members registered on this site have less than 5 log in's and have been members for 1 or more years??

Not that I expect a response mind you:laugh::laugh: But this data could be translated into some pretty realistic numbers as to the validity of the spammers.

Of course I am certain Jimmy and killer and roger and all the other brains involved already possess the knowledge they need:laugh:

But data makes me curious is all.
all VERY good arguments.... those are all real stats i look at on my forum and the others I have administrated over the years. Most people like see that "total member count" and seeing a huge number there.. personally I like see that "users online" being high.

#27 ·
I noticed we get mostly the iphone, mp3 whatever lists with the email addresses in them, is there any option for not allowing posts to have an email address in them, and if when someone tries it blocks that post from happening? Not a big deal, just wondering.

Also, is this what the "make 3000 a month working part time from home" ads are all about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.