Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - A HUGE misconception I've been noticing.
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
CanAm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana
That's not REALLY true. I have a Rome Anthem 158 and I am 6'3. People always tell me the board is way too short, but I don't buy into the height to length ratio. I don't even have my board set to the widest stance and I'm ok. Unless you're crazy tall and riding a kids board, I think you'll be ok. My board has enough of a customizable stance that I'm perfectly comfortable on it.

EDIT: Always remember that there are no rules for riding. If you want to ride pigeon-toed, do it. You may crash a lot and be REALLY sore, but you can ride however you want. No one call tell you your board is wrong or your stance is wrong. It's all personal preference. That's one of the things I LOVE about boarding. Do it your way.
The fact of the matter is that height has nothing to do with what you want to look for in board length. At all. Most boards of the same model but different sizes have the same stance range, so a 157 Rome Flag has the same stance range as the 168.

The board honestly does not know how tall you are, so that is a bogus "ballpark" estimate. Your weight, however, will make a difference. If you're 250 pounds and riding a 155 board, you're going to have stability issues. If you're 125 pounds and riding a 166, you're going to have response issues. The board distributes your weight, not your height.

The whole "you can snowboard how you want because it's your snowboarding experience" thing is true, but kinda misleading. I guarantee your snowboarding experience will be better if you listen to those that know what they're doing. They've experimented with all the variables and know how to generally estimate what would work well for you. You can also choose not to breathe because it's your body, but that is not advisable :P