Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - splitboard size recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

The reviews on the Karakorum's so far seem to be pretty legit. If they work like they look too, it should be an improvement over the Voile system. I will say that the Voile system has always been great in it's simplicity. There really isn't much to break and it's bomber. The only thing I've broken are a couple of tail clips and a couple of Voile slider plates. Both of the tail clips were my fault and the slider plates, well that is design problem. They have been working on the bindings and system for over two years now, so they should be pretty good out of the gate. Of course, some design flaws will show, but I suspect they will be fairly minor with them.

So that brings me to the Voile Light Rail. Most people who use them are happy with them, but they have the same tab on the slider that cracks as the Voile plates. With it being integrated into the base plate, it should be stronger, but I think it's still going to be a weak point. I've brought this up to Voile on the splitboard forum and they got PISSED. Too bad, I stuck to my guns on it, but they don't seem to want to redesign it. The Spark R&D binding seem to have a much more solid design and the binding sits lower to the board than the light rail. So it's more of a regular board feel when riding.

I'd say price it out. Splitboard specific binders are $300, add the Voile interface and I am guessing you are looking at $450-$500. If you have to buy skins that's another $150 I believe. So it might just be well worth your while to go with the Karakorum system. If anything email those guys and ask them how they are going to back up any issues that may arise after the fact it gets to market. I have a hunch they'll take care of it, so they do seem to be a pretty good bet. If the cost savings is worth it to you, go with the Voile set up. It's proven and works just fine. I've been riding on it for around ten years now and my first Voile set up works as good as my newer ones.

Last edited by killclimbz; 08-23-2010 at 01:08 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote