Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Political correctness and race.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
PaoloSmythe
Samyaksambuddhas

I agree completely that 'political correctness' is a bag of bollocks. But this was obvious from its name. Politics is a term used to justify a certain theme of bullshit, so there are no shockers here! :P

This hyphenated, ethnicity nomenclature though is an interesting one, in that it is limited only to the USA (the true home of hyper-sensitive bullshit!) In europe, much as is the case in canada, people are described by their origins. I have never heard of a jamaican-british or a chinese-canadian. People use only the first section to describe their heritage.

To me this makes sense. If you are in (for eg.) America, why do you have to suffix 'american' to your 'category'?

The 'black' term was an interesting pop phenomenon. It was forever an acceptable term to negroid people; then someone raised the matter of fact, that in semantical descriptions, black regarded generally negative connotations and white the more 'purer' and 'perfect' aspects of life. this is true, but should we care? Black people suggest not. But it is an individual thing.

meanwhile, has my use of the word negroid caused raised eyebrows? from having studied anthropology, it is a perfectly innocent and valid term to use. but is it a bit too clinical for lay-man's speech?

each to their own once more.