Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Is religosity part of a larger problem?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

The reason that I first thought of it is that my family are pretty fundamentalist, and I've had arguments about religion (obviously) but also arguments about my mom trying to push echinecia and St John's Wort and all manner of concoctions on me, all the while telling me how standard medicine didn't work for her or my dad (I once pointed out that when the crap doesn't work my dad goes back to his inhalor. Didn't go over well). There's even a conspiracy by big pharma to suppress the alternative medicine industry.

The best explanation I can come up with is that there's a mindset that holds science, logic, and the whole concept of testing of hypotheses in contempt. Therefore anything that comes out of that arena -- whether weather models, medications, biology, or whatever -- cannot be allowed to be right.

Again, I have to stress that this is personal observation, based on my family and those people I still stay in touch with who are religious. Small sample, no-blind, and no formal analysis. I'm just wondering.

I hate the parts between winter