Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - So what outdoorsy activities did you do this Summer?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
baldylox
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My girlfriend and I climbed Katahdin the weekend before last. Ascended via the Cathedral Trail, crossed the Knife Edge and Descended Helon Taylor. I do not recommend this route if you have any fear of heights....seriously. I thought people were playing it up or just being wusses.....that is not the case. The word 'trail' is used carelessly in Maine. Truly an amazing adventure that I will never forget and will occasionally wake up in a cold sweat recalling. Katahdin is the only western peak this side of the Mississippi.

A view of Katahdin from the South Basin @ Chimney Pond.

First Cathedral from the base of the rubble field. Starting the ascent.

View from the Second Cathedral

Looking out at the Knife Edge from the Third Cathedral Rock.

Cliffs along the final ascent to summit of Baxter.

Looking along the ridge leading to the Knife Edge from Baxter Peak

This is a GPL image of the knife edge. (I was too bloody terrified to take my camera out. It is at times a three foot wide crumbling granite pathway being cleaved apart by the passage of time. Imagine walking on the back of a Stegasaurus with 3000 foot drops on either side. At other times you have to cling to the side of a cliff with NOTHING below you. Once you finally make it to the end its an easy (by climber standards) almost technical climb straight down about 50yards with no ropes. It is 1.1 miles from the peak to Pamola and takes 2-3 hours to navigate safely.)

Lookout down at the Helon Taylor ridge on the descent.

Last edited by baldylox; 10-12-2010 at 09:35 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote