Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What the fu*k has Obama done so far?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasene View Post
Yes the site does make some valid positive points but there are two sides to every story. For instance Obama may have signed a bill on student loans and heath care coverage to those under the age of 26. Sounds great, however the cost would be the loss of jobs and higher tuitions.
I see that kind of objection all the time, in both US and Canadian politics, as if making a decision that has an actual Down Side is a Bad Thing. I think that it's very likely that ANY decision that ANY politician makes (or anyone else for that matter) has pros and cons. The decisions that involve only pros, or that are so one-sided that they're not even worth debating are called "Easy Questions", and they've been decided decades if not centuries ago. Now we're left with what are called "Hard Questions".

Just pointing out the con and sitting back is a sign of a lazy mind. The important thing to ask is: does this decision have positive karma? Does it do more good for more people while doing less harm to less people (because guaranteed someone is going to get the short end of any decision). A decision that saves 1000 lives but costs 10 people a buck is a good one. A decision that saves 1000 people 10 bucks but kills 10 people is a bad one. And so on.

So, on balance, is this decision a good one or a bad one? And why? (Note that I know nothing about this one so I have no opinion on it).

I hate the parts between winter