Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Total Newbie to snowboarding - from NJ!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
pontiuspylate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
not sure how you learn but check out some videos, snowolf and snow board addiction have some great tutorials. I just started last year and these helped me a lot. Videos aren't for everyone but they are free and I picked up lots of good tips before I got on the slopes.
It doesn't replace trial and error and the art of falling but it did help once I learned balance on the board.
I 100% agree with this statement! I didn't take lessons when I started. Instead I let the internet and youtube be my instructor. I watched tons of videos! Snowolf and Snowboard Addiction are some of the better ones out there. IMO Snowboard Addiction are the best ones out there! Remeber what you watched and then put it to practice once on the hill. I'm not saying don't go get lessons. By all means if you have some spare doe, go get lessons. Even if it is just one to get you through the initial stumbeling blocks. But if you are a little strapped for cash (like I am) there are other avenues of learning such as video's.

The best piece of advice I can give you is stick with it. The 1st day you will be on your ass A LOT. Dont let the falls discourage you. It's all apart of learning. Snowboarding is 90% mental and has a very steap learning curve. Believe and visualize that you can do it and more than likely you will. By the 3rd day you should at least be able to make turns and get down the bunny hill without falling. Once you learn how to link turns your skills will explode and the addiction begins.

Good luck and have fun!
pontiuspylate is offline   Reply With Quote