Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snow making begins in the midwest!

5K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  kysnowboarder 
#1 ·
My local ski hill has begun making snow! My season is more about the trips but this place helps me get ready for those...Looks like the end of Nov to mid december before they will be ready, just as long as we don't have any warm spells...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, it what we have though...Thanks to that hill I was able to go to telluride last year (first trip out west) and have a good time. It is funny, verticle drop is 400 ft, longest run is one mile...and you better keep your speed on the 1 mile or you will be pushing lol. One of the days I will be able to move out there...

#4 ·
your one up on us. They aren't even making snow here yet and our hills aren't much better.
But riding is riding right guys, might not be mountains or powder but like you, it is what we have.
Still having fun,
-Slyder

#6 ·
yeah, most of that snow will be gone tomorrow...it is suppose to push 70 here tomorrow. They were probably just testing the system. lol

7 hours away I have access to this...hoping to get out here 2 or 3 times this year

Snow shoe...has 1500 vertical drop

Attachments

#8 ·
im quessing thats perfect north? me and my buds go to paoli, its closer to paducah. we rode PN once last year, i really didnt think it was any better than paoli. im stoked to see some snow on the ground though! paoli is projecting dec 18 as their opening day. i hope you have a good season and shred up the mountains when you head out west. were going west in april or march so were gonna do like you do and burn up our season passes on the little hills to get us ready.

#9 ·
The first picture is perfect north. I have not been to paoli but plan to give it a shot this year, most of my buds that ski and snowboard say perfect north is better, more runs, a little bigger vertical drop and they stay up on the snow making better. This others opinions. I will keep an I on paoli snow reports will go when it is good, not icey and give you my opinion. PN is 2 hours from me, and Paoli is 55 minutes, I hope I have the same opinion as you, the shorter drive would be nice.

The 2nd picture is from snow shoe, I think it is the basin side, the longer bigger runs are on the Western territory, they didn't have a picture of those, they are usually the last runs they get open.

#10 ·
Currently 50 in St Louis with a high of 76. Our 310ft hill won't be getting any snow for a while. Sometime in the season I will be at Paoli since my friend has family there and I get a discount on tickets.

#13 ·
310ft hill, Ha!!:laugh: HV also claims they have 12 runs but we both know they really only have about 6 runs. But I guess it's better than nothing.:(

#19 ·
I agree Hidden Valley does suck but it is better than nothing. I live about 25 minutes away and go out there about every weekend on the 10pm to 3am session when it is empty and cheap so it is not too bad, you can get a lot of runs in. That and they finally started grooming again around 11pm at night so it doesn't turn into a sheet of ice like it used to.:thumbsup:

#21 ·
I take the lifts lol :)

The peak that is centered in the photo is Cowboy Mtn.

If you look closely near the top you can see a traverse line near the top.

If you follow it to the right side of the mountain, that is where 7th heaven lift dumps you out.

From there you can hike to the top of cowboy, or ride down to the base.

#22 ·
Welcome to Perfect North in Lawrenceburg IN where the time spent in the lift line is longer than it takes to get down the run...

I have fun there, and like I said before it does help prepare me for somewhat for the big mountains. I did discover at the big mountain last year that my boots were not up to snuff. Someday when I am good at this I can say see what I had to work with...

I had friends that laughed at me when I bought a snowboard. After I showed them the pictures from the trip out west last season they weren't laughing so much any more....:laugh:

#23 · (Edited)
I saw that Tyrol Basin west of Madison WI was making snow to open on Nov 9th but the temps got to warm. If it cools down again, they will fire up the machines again.
"With a warm-up predicted beginning Sunday, we will NOT be open on Tuesday, Nov 9. Check snow report for updates concerning next weekend."

They are trying to open some limited runs Nov 13th, if they do the kids and I are there.
They are opening not all runs and not all lifts running Gonna try to go this weekend!!!!!

Think this is last year's photo but not sure photo was created 11-9-10 could be this year

-Slyder

#25 ·
Before I checked the website...
I'd be really surprised if Hidden Valley opened before Christmas...

After I checked the website
Well, damn, it's opening on the 18th according to the calendar.

Hidden Valley is definitely better than nothing, but it's still hard to accept. I started a club at my school and the first question is always "Where the hell do you guys snowboard?"
Followed usually by looks of pity. :(
Ah well, there's the spring trip for those ungrateful bastards. :laugh:

#28 ·
Typically HV opens about the second week of December every year. Around here it will be up and down temps and then all of sudden it's highs of 25 to 30 and stays that way. Once it is cold they build up a base pretty quick.

#30 ·
I looked at some of the hills you guys mentioned here. Have you all been out West to ride? You guys must lose your shit when you see how things are in the rockies?

I couldn't believe it after riding in Colorado after having only ridden in Australia.

#32 ·
I know I used to go out west 1 to 3 times a year, and then I got married and had kids and that pretty much came to end. Since I got married we take a lot of trips up north in the Wisconsin area but still not anything close to out west, just much bigger versions of our local spot. But this year I already booked my flight, condo, and rental car to Keystone in January. I can't wait it's been about 7 years since I've been to Colorado!!

#36 ·
For the midwest guys. I have been to paoli a few times last year. This year i got me a pass. Next year my wife and i are going west.

My question is Which is better paoli or PN? I live about 1.5 from paoli and about 2-2.5 from PN. Should i check out PN or just stay going to paoli?

#37 ·
also If i were to take a small trip were should i go.

I want somewere that is like out west. I looked up snowshoe not bad. Is their anything closer to the indiana.

#40 ·
indiana is a hike even to the east coast. snowshoe will be your best bet probably, you might be able to make it to Seven Springs in PA depending on where you're at in Indiana though that might be quite a drive, too. Of course there is always Michigan but our resorts aren't anything special, either. 300-500 vertical feet for the most part, all about 3.5 hours from the MI/IN border.

#41 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think i will just go in half on a rent a car and stay at a cheap hotel. I dont mind a 10 hour drive for a small mountain. I wouldnt do it a bunch. Just once a year mabye. I will make it to the west just not this year.

#42 ·
Well if you are willing to drive 10 hours then check out a couple resorts in Wisconsin. Devilshead and Granite's Peak are pretty good, we usually make a trip or 2 up there every year. Granite is better but a little further and pricey lift tickets 700'vert. Chestnut Mountain in Galena, IL is pretty good. If you want to stay on the cheap you can't beat Devilshead from sunday through thursday, 1 lift ticket and a room at the lodge for $60 per person. Chestnut has the same deal but I think they went up to $80 per person this year. I prefer Devilshead though, not the steepest but pretty big, 500'vert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.