Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

POV Mounting Help

33K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  pontiuspylate 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to mount a GoPro camera on the front of my board and am looking for some help with mounting it securely. I've heard mixed accounts on using the Suction Cup mount and the 3M Adhesive mounts so was going to try something different.

My plan is to use the Tripod attachment and a RAM Mounts Pedestal Mount Kit (RAM Mounts Pedestal Mount Kit for POV Cameras with 1/4"-20 Tripod Adapter - PointofViewCameras.com). The Pedestal kit has a large enough base that I should be able to epoxy that to the board and get a secure fit. I'm hoping that if I follow the directions and give it 48 hours to cure in a warmish environment that it should be nice and solid. I was going to try some marine epoxy that is supposed to be more flexible than regular stuff but other than that I don't have anything specific in mind.

I also plan on mounting the pedestal closer to the toe edge and closer to the binding to try to cut down on impact damage (as much as possible anyway).

It's an old board so I don't mind a permanent fixture on it, although obviously it would be great if there was another solution that could be removed, and yes there are quite enough crappy POV videos out there but this is really for my own enjoyment :)

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are going to find this funny but I strap it to my ankle and not the board when I want one of those shots. I use a long piece of parachute rope and lash the thing on. It works really well.

My buddy had the surfboard attachment on his board and it popped off the first day of use. Plus the video was very shaky because of the board chatter. Straping it to your ankle relieves all board chatter shake and is pretty stable.

Sometimes the best solution it to go low tech!

Here's a video I made that shows those views.

#3 ·
Great video! :) I actually just came across an earlier post talking about using the chest harness or vent helmet strap to attach it to the ankle/boot etc. It's a great idea and your footage shows it works well so I'm going to give that a go me thinks! Appreciate the help.

#4 ·
Glad I could help! :thumbsup:

I actually dont have a single mount for my GoPro except for the helmet strap (that I never use). I usually just hold the camera or use parachute cord to lash it wherever I need it. This year I have attached it to a ski pole that I found on the hill last year. We'll see how that works out but all the footage I have seen with it attached to a pole looks awesome.

I can't wait for this season! THINK SNOW!!!

#7 ·
The 3M mounts which are industrial strength VHB double sided tape worked very well for me.
I had one mount on the side of my helmet, another mount on the toe side between the binding like you described. It never came off and I had to slice it out with a blade to take the mount off when I sold the board. I also had one on the nose end of the board but only used it once because the camera easily gets sprayed by snow.

My advise is to figure out where to mount it first before you use epoxy.

here's a sample of the camera mounted between the bindings.

I'm not too worried about impact damage, although I did tie a shoe lace between the base and my binding in case it did break away from the board it won't go too far.

#9 ·
You can see from hpin's video what I was talking about with the amount of camera shake when it is mounted directly to the board from the board chatter. Your ankle acts as a natural shock absorber plus the camera is farther forward reducing the amount of snow being blown up to the camera (which is VERY little). The outside ankle position also provides an unabstructed view.

Just some things to think about...

#10 · (Edited)
Sweet, I was just looking at doing this myself. I bought a gopro a couple of weeks ago and decided I didn't trust the brackets to be stuck to the board. The rope on the leg trick seems to work quite well. I have a head strap for it as well so I should have plenty of good angles come Feb when I head to Japan! Can't wait!

Are you lashing it to your boot in that video or just above it?

#11 ·
Are you lashing it to your boot in that video or just above it?
Yes, I lash it straight to the outside of my boot. I found that if I lash it higher on my leg that the camera moves around and wobbles. And in order to keep that from happening you have to lash it so tight that it starts to cut off circulation and is very uncomfortable. The boot has been the only place that I have found that works for this position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.