Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have baseless bindings?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
vrecksler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATKOUG View Post
Have you NOT heard of Burton's EST and ICS/Channel Technologies?...

Basically, Burton EST (Extra Sensory Technology) Bindings are the resurrection of those old baseless bindings from the '90s, and Burton's ICS (Infinite Channel System), a.k.a. The Channel, is its counterpart.

Burton made a pretty smart move developing baseless bindings into their EST Technology while simultaneously developing their ICS Technology--the most well-developed and usable sliding snowboard binding mounting system ever. And the SMARTEST thing Burton did with these two separate technologies--was to interconnect them.

EST Bindings are ONLY compatible with ICS Boards.

But ICS Boards can (also) be used with traditional/normal/disk-type Burton Bindings through the use of (2-hole) ICS-adapter disks.

Burton markets ICS as the best snowboard binding mounting system ever due to its practically infinite stance width/location possibilities. Burton also markets their EST bindings as the only bindings that can fully exploit all of the advantages of EST due to their supposed ease of adjustibility, improved board feel, and what not.

I've been using traditional/normal/disk-type Burton Bindings for years and currently own 2008 CO2s, 2009 C60s, and 2010 P1.1, but I've never used any of their EST bindings. I also currently own three different Burton ICS Boards and I like ICS a-lot, but I've never wanted to buy EST Bindings that could only be used on ICS Boards when traditional/normal/disk-type Burton Bindings (like the ones I/we've been using for years and I already own) work on/with any board.

I know that EST Baseplate-Cushions are removable and replaceable and can even be upgraded with canted and techier versions as well. I also remember hearing that ESTs could also be used without any Baseplate-Cushions in-place--as truly baseless bindings--but I don't know...

I think that Burton has just released redesigned versions of EST and ICS for this current 2010/2011 season, but again, I'm not sure...

I have, but I'm not really a fan as it really isn't the same thing in terms of feel.

I'm not saying an EST setup is or isn't good as I haven't ridden one and most of my feelings on this 'innovation' originate from when REV pioneered the channel almost two decades ago. I'm more impressed with the Re:Flex binding thing from Burton than their EST lineup since I don't ride a Burton board and a hinged flex 4x4 disk would be interesting to demo.

I have tried using an EST binding as a pseudo-baseless binding but it didn't work mounting wise; the two mouting points on an EST binding are design to go in the middle of the board, so when you have to try and make it work on a 4x4 insert pattern the stance options are almost nil.
vrecksler is offline   Reply With Quote