Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

reflective goggles?

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  S.Midd.92 
#1 ·
I'm starting to snowboard more often now and was wondering if there are any specific brand of goggles that make more of the reflective lenses. I like the fact that you can see out of them but nobody can see your eyes. I can't seem to find any on any website. There are plenty of goggles but none with the reflective lenses. Forgive me if they aren't called reflective goggles i'm still pretty new to snowboarding. Thanks in advance/

#2 ·
most of the big companies make them -

Oakley Iridium lenses
Smiths Mirror lenses

The problem is that the more reflective the lens, the lower VLT(light coming in), so If you want super reflective ones prepare to have poor visibility in anything thats not a super bright sunny day out.

#4 ·
Well what do you think they reflect? Any why do you not want anyone to see your eyes? Ohh I get it, you wanna put the googles on the chick that you're gonna drunk pick up at the bar resort to fawk in the appartment/backseat/skicellar/behind trees. Yea, I'd want them hella reflective too.

:D

#5 ·
acctually i want them so i can wear while with that chick so she cant tell im not looking at her and thinking of someone else...
but seriously i know they reflect the sun obviously but if there is no sun i dont understand why they dont work as well as normal lenses in those conditions

#6 ·
Haha. Ok that is a valid argument.

Anyhow, they reflect light - right? So it will be darker. You need to pay more attention in school son. :p The less light your eyes have to work with, the less contrast you can make out. Since everything in gonna be white on white in the snow you want the most contrast you can get, with mirrored you can't see shiat and it will be too dark as well. Its kinda like wearing dark sunglasses in a tunnel.

Yellow/reddish lenses are great for cloudy days.

#8 ·
Not really, just pick a name brand as they tend to be better. Then make sure they have 100% UV protection, which they mostly have. If you wear a helmet like I do, you gotta make sure the goggles still fit with the helmet on.

I personally have this one, and the lenses and straps are interchangeable, I have a black lens to use. But I only used it once. Thinking about getting some new Anons and the switching up the straps.

They are 08/09 Anon Figment with the sexay furrr.

#10 ·
What's your budget? As for reflective lenses, they are excellent for bright days, but are really poor the second a cloud covers that sunlight. Ideally, you either want multiple goggles with different shades of lenses or extra lenses. I prefer buying multiple goggles as you can find many at a cheaper price than a brand new pair of lenses. That way you can also have multiple brands and styles without the need for swapping lenses out. Although if you have Smith I/O, the lens swap is easy peezy.

If you want an all around lens for now, you should take a look at the lens' light chart and look for one that transmits around 50% of the light.

Also, Spherical lenses are going to offer the clearest and most peripheral range of vision over flat lenses like the Anon's that was posted above. However, spherical lenses will cost you more most of the time (there are always sales).

Snowboard Goggles

#11 ·
Obligatory:

SHE'S GOT THAT APPLE BOTTOM 5K SHELL, AND THEM GOGGLES WIT THA FURR........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.