Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gun Control Debate thread
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #89 (permalink)
J.Schaef

Your point is well thought out. I agree that you could go on christnet and find some obserdity. I am fairly disappointed that most modern day believers (of nearly any religion) could likely not tell you why they believe, or even what exactly they believe. (this just refers to my experience in North America)

I suppose in that sense you are correct, if I thought that a snowboarding forum was the place to present this type of information, maybe I would show my cards a little more.

I guess I should expound a bit more on what attitude I am talking about.

Non-theists typically want all theists to hear their logical, and rational breakdown of why a God can't/doesn't exist. This is fine, if you want to enter into a pissing contest. What is the point of "debate" when neither side is open to what the other has to say. Why are you capable of determining what is a "normal, reasonable, and inevitable" belief system for someone else? Is this not the same type of fundamentalism that "Christians" propose? I am right, you are wrong.

This is where the problem lies, nobody is willing to hear the other out. Both sides are incredibly closed minded. I think this is where the true ignorance lies.

"When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."