Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #113 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Cool video.

After seeing the Trip Report titled "09/10 Season Video" in that area of the forums, I am definitely interested in a GoPro HD.

It would be cool to have a video of our trip out west with me and my buddies.

I'm just not too sure on the editing part and how difficult that is.
That was a really well-put-together video he put quite a lot of time in to it. The more footage you have, the more difficult it will be no matter how "technical" you get with the editing aspect - there's just more stuff to wade through.

Fortunately the basics for you would be pretty easy. For a night like Saturday I had about 25-30 video clips ranging from 10-15 seconds to about 2 minutes. My process goes something like this:

1. Review all the clips individually, usually i do this in fast-forward.
2. Rename the clips so you can identify their content.
3. Keep a list of what timestamps have good footage (e.g., in this clip there is a sweet 360 at the 1:40 mark, etc.)
4. Delete any clips which are garbage.
5. Import the clips to your editing program.
6. Build up the timeline/project.
7. Add transitions, effects, titles, etc.
8. Add music/soundtrack
9. Publish.

For short videos I generally don't storyboard, but if I had multiple days worth of footage I would add that step after #5.

Start to finish it probably took me about 1-1.5 hours to make that 2-minute clip. Steps 6 and 7 take the longest as I normally do and redo these steps to get the right flow. The more footage you have, the longer it will take to sort through it all, and the longer it's gonna take to build up your timeline because you'll want to keep moving stuff around.

I didn't do any color correction, after effects, etc., but that will also increase the amount of time and complexity of editing your videos.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2