Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Steamboat Pat Downs to ride the gondola?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
baldylox
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think an important difference is that at sporting events you have 20-60 thousand people crammed into a small area with alcohol involved and opposing sides. Also, frequently the stadiums are subsidized by public monies because they have a significant economic benefit to the area and its in the public interest to protect the investment as well as the taxpayer. There is no history of riots at ski resorts and the human density doesn't warrant protection from terrorism. The prime risk at a ski resort is personal injuries involving one or two people. That would be resolved through civil litigation between the parties. I haven't heard any statistics on drunkards killing or maiming fellow skiers with their recklessness being endemic at resorts.

As far as police at bars (in uniform), the main issue in my opinion is the potential conflict of interest. Also, the impression that is given having uniformed civil servants 'employed' at a private facility could make it a appear an company is 'above the law'.

Last edited by baldylox; 12-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote