Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

09/10 season video

13K views 84 replies 49 participants last post by  dopamean 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im not sure if this is in the right section but it seemed to fit here the best compared to the others.

This is a recap of our 09/10 season. We make a video every year so we have something to look back on when we are older. We are not the best snowboarders in the world and were not the worst. This is not what the project is about. We go to have fun and live life the way we think more people should. (outdoors with you friends) Locations include Blue Mountain Pa, Hunter Mountain, Killington, Mount Snow, Steamboat, Mountain Creek, and The Snowed Inn. The entire video was shot on a GoPro Hero HD. It was edited using final cut studio 3. I have posted this on another forum and got very mixed reviews. I have no problems with constructive criticism. I just feel that many people didnt understand what the project is about. It is a memoir for friends and family to look back on. I know that the video is on the longer side and that there is alot of lifestyle and filler shots in it. I also know that the riding isnt the spectacular. This video is made for those you have fun snowboarding for what it is. Dont get all butthurt that we arnt hucking 7s every other clip. If you are excited for the upcoming season and enjoy watching others have fun doing a sport you love than enjoy. Otherwise im sorry for disapointing you. :D

Youtube also destroyed the quality since it was 15 mins. I am going to upload it to a purchased vimeo account as well and will provide a link if people are interested in purchasing a gopro. It is still very watchable though.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Very cool video. Forget what the haters say.

I'd actually like to do this myself for when my friends and I go riding on our trips. For a specific reason... my memory of our last trip is a little blurry.

I have one suggestion... and maybe this doesn't apply to you, but when I went on our 4 day trip last season (Breck, Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone)... I started to forget which photos and videos were from which resorts. So for your own memory's sake (if you are using these to look back upon sometime in the future) - I'd document when and where the videos took place. Doesn't have to be on your YouTube video... but at least on your computer so you will always know.

#8 ·
Simply put, this video gets me stoked. I already planned on recording some video this season for the same reason (though it will likely be pathetic in both riding and video quality compared to this), but this got me more inspired. While it's fun to watch Romain de Marchi filmed from a helicopter getting wicked air on some remote peak, your video is actually something I can relate and aspire to. I really like your camera work and post-production. The bird scene @5:47 is almost surreal and I chuckled at the air-guitar-to-faceplant @8:50. :D Nice music selection too. Thanks for sharing.

#9 ·
Really enjoyable. Ripping through the streets after a storm is always fun, hopefully us Jersey folk get nailed again this winter.

I have only one complaint. The vignette blur made the video seem a little dark. It was a nice effect, but maybe for this years video you could make it more subtle so the video looks brighter. Other than that, Fucking A!

#16 ·
I gotta say I wasn't expecting much when I clicked on the link, figured I'd watch a few seconds and leave. Ended up watching the whole thing. Sure, nothing spectacular about any of the riding or scenery, but definitely great editing and matched up really well with the music. It's obvious you spent alot of time on it. It's along the lines of what I'd like to put together for my crew someday. Problem is who wants to spend all their time behind their camera and hardly ever in the shot, not to mention investing in all the equipment, lugging it around all the time, and then all the editing. So yeah, props to you for putting that together. Your friends owe you some food/drinks or something lol.

#17 ·
Problem is who wants to spend all their time behind their camera and hardly ever in the shot, not to mention investing in all the equipment, lugging it around all the time, and then all the editing. So yeah, props to you for putting that together. Your friends owe you some food/drinks or something lol.
Not true. Take turns holding the cam to follow each other down. Im ordering the GoPro today. thats what im planning on doing when we ride

#21 ·
:thumbsup:

I'm like, hmm that background looks familiar and then I realized a lot of that from the East Coast. I love these videos, I'm no pro but nothing like capturing the whole 'fun' of riding together with friends. Great editing and went great with the music.

The suby wagon scene was cool. If only there was space here for me try that with friends. :laugh:

I'm assuming the editing was done in the off season? How long did it take?

#23 ·
yes the editing was done in the offseason. It took awhile because i had over 1500 clips and some were as long as 15 minutes. Going through them all and picking good clips to convert to prores took the longest out of the whole process. Probably about 2 months working on it an hour or so a night. From there the actual editing only took about a month. Then color correction for about another month. So i guess about 4 months total. This is working on it about an hour a night give or take. I have always been sort of a perfectionist so i like to take my time with my work. Alot of the time was spent learning as well. Being self taught has its pros and cons and i sometimes find myself backtracking alot to fix things or doing things the long way just to find out in a tutorial that theres much easier ways. This was especially true with the color grading and correction since i had never tried that before.

#22 ·
awesome vid bro...im not into boring vids that constantly show jumping off kickers and rails and what not...they get boring after 20 sec. but i really enjoyed this one. some good thought and editting went into this one:thumbsup:

#31 ·
Man I'm really digging this video. Do you mind sharing what editing software you used? Mac or PC? I've got iMovie on my Macbook but I haven't tried to learn it yet. Do you have a lot of editing experience? I'm wondering if I even have a chance of making something like this as my first edit.

I'm getting married in Whistler (yes, my fiance rocks) in February and we're staying for 2 weeks. I want to make a video very similar to this with a good mix of snowboarding, village life, snowmobiling, etc. Your video is what it's all about...it's well balanced.

Is ALL of your footage shot w/ a GoPro? I just got my Contour HD in the mail and I'm wondering if I should get a "real" camcorder as well.

Thanks for feedback.

#32 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Yes every single shot in this was done with a gopro. I use a i7 imac running final cut studio 3. My advice would be to get final cut express and play around with it and see if your truly into editing. If you are you can then move onto the bigger stuff. This entire video could have been done in final cut express except for the color balancing and grading which i did in apple's "color". Good luck and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.