Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#188 ·
Holly had a few set up on Sunday but I don't think they had added any since boardaddicktd last updated us. Pine Knob's website indicates none of their parks have opened yet. Alpine Valley has two boxes. Brighton says "3 rails open" FWIW.

For now Holly sounds like the best bet with a variety of features: step down flat box, up/down box (narrow) and two culvert features: one bonker and one you can grind that's about 12 feet long maybe.

My advice: check their sites every day, it's been cold enough that they're blowing almost 24/7 right now trying to get stuff open, most resuming regular operating hours late this week.

EDIT: all of the hills are opening at 3pm every day this week until Friday when they will be opening at 10am, so if you're planning on going mid-day during the week, you're out of luck.

#205 ·
2 things...

1. What is the general rule of thumb regarding snowboard waist width and boot size? My GF is looking for a board and wants the k2 lunatique in size 151, but the waist width is like 23.8cm and she wears a size 10 in women's (which is 8.5 in mens). Is that too skinny for her?

2. I'm probably going to get some new bindings for christmas... but can't decide which ones I want. I like the Rome Targas but I'm also interested in the K2 cinch style bindings. No experience with either one... but looking for some opinions.

#206 ·
Well, in mens, a size 9-10 requires around 25cm at the waist so she's good.

Remember, the board is actually a little wider at the binding insert points where her boots will lie. Her angles will also affect this. So even if the board was a little narrow (which that particular one isn't), a ducked stance would resolve the issue.

She's good to go with that board.

For Michigan riding, easy in/out bindings are awesome. I have the 2010 Flow NXT-FSE and looooove them. I bought it mainly for the comfort though. Most comfy pair of bindings EVA! But if you like the response of traditional straps, the Cinches are a good idea. You should also consider the K2 Autos. K2 Auto Ever would be nice on that Magic of yours.

#207 ·
Yea thats partly the reason I was looking at the "easy in/out" style bindings.

It's not 100% the same, but a good thing about the Targas is that they have the elastic bands that pull the straps out of your way once they are un-ratcheted down: Binding Tech | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2011

So you don't think the 23.8cm waist would be a problem with a size 8.5 boot? I found some type of "board size calculator" online and it was saying that for a 8.5 boot (in men's, which is 10 in women's) that the minimum waist should be 24.3cm. I know it's only 0.5cm difference (which is like 0.25") - but I don't want to buy her an expensive board to find out that she is dragging her toes or something.

#213 ·
What's the consensus for tomorrow? Who's going & where?

The Pinery is open at PK and they're listing 14 of 17 trails open. Mt Holly says they are 100% open but I find that hard to believe.

If the Pinery is open I'd just assume go to PK, I feel like taking laps in the park until I break some ribs anyways, it would be good to do that during the day when hopefully all the kids are still in school and I don't have to worry about getting upstaged by a random 8-year old.

#222 ·
Nice kitchen.

I was always wondering about these pole mounts.... are these things incredibly light? I just can't imagine holding a pole the entire time you are riding... seems as if you'd get tired or bored with it.

We should design a belt/harness that you wear around your waist and the pole locks into it... you'd still have to hold the pole in place, but at least the majority of the weight would be held by the belt.

#225 ·
PK was meh.

Triple jump line was open actually it might've been a quad jump line with one big jump and a few mid-sized maybe 10 footers.

The Pinery park sucked goat ass. They had one tiny kicker at the top which people were using as a drop in to hit the only feature, the 2' wide butter box, and one tiny kicker at the bottom which didn't have enough of a landing and they didn't turn on the rope-tow until halfway through the day.

The bar was not open until 5pm but fortunately I had three beers in my Jeep.

THe snow was good and should be good throughout the early part of the evening unless temps get low & freeze.

It's probably too late but anyone heading out tonight looking to do park (unless you just want to go hit jumps) I'd recommend Holly instead. If you're heading out this weekend, call PK and ask if they've added any new features. If they don't add more features it's definitely not worth the $30.

I'm kinda dissapointed although I did take the Machete out today such a fun board to ride.