Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you prefer to board alone or with friends?

6K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  lannalee802 
#1 ·
I've never gone by myself before, but now I off work every Monday so I'm gonna start goin alone a lot. I hear goin by yourself is super chill. Which do you prefer?

#2 ·
With friends for sure. You're already alone when you're cruising, it's more fun to have other people to chill on the chair, smoke shit in the trees, and make fun of when they eat shit in the park

#3 ·
I like to ride with people for fun and safety factor...

There's something to be said for riding solo though. I get to push my own pace instead of waiting for people, I can explore whenever I feel like it, I can stop and take pictures, bla bla bla. And riding alone is way more theraputic imo

#5 ·
Both...

Yes going by yourself has its advantages such as the singles line at the lift. You can go at your own pace. You dont have to wait for slower riders in your group. You can try new things and if you bite it your friends can't laugh at you. The rest of the mountain will but who cares about those guys... :laugh:

With friends you have camaraderie and people to talk to. Jokes, pranks, and games can be played on/with your friends.

Last year I did about 50% solo riding and 50% crew riding. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

#8 ·
I definitely like riding with friends more, but my riding is split about 50/50 between solo and with friends.

I ride every chance I get, so if I can go and no one else is off, I'm going dammit! Riding solo definitely helped me to progress. As others have said, you can focus on your own riding 100%. It really gives you a chance to focus on those areas where you're weak.

#14 ·
I usually ride alone. I'm one of the more serious boarders in my area (not saying much), so when I'm out at the hill I'm waiting at the bottom for a fairly long time (impressive considering it's only about 350 ft... :laugh:).

It can be really nice to just chill by yourself, but it's nice knowing someone has your back too... as long as they can somewhat keep up.

#15 ·
I prefer going alone because I like to pick routes on-the-fly without having to put it to committee first. The only exception is when going to the backside of the local mountain, which is more remote and posted "do not go alone past this sign" or something like that.

#20 ·
Nothing like cranking up the tunes and shredding by yourself. I think riding in a group can be advantageous or detrimental depending on who your riding with. I wish I rode with people better then me because I think it helps push you beyond your limit, because often when I'm riding with people at my level or below, I end up getting that half-baked feeling because I'm not pushing myself. If your having fun with your friends though that's just as good.

I just have a weird personality that's very object-oriented, so if I feel like I'm not getting better I get somewhat disappointed :dunno:

#23 ·
I like a bit of both, but i've gotta say me best times are when I split from my friends for a bit of alone time.

For me, snowboarding represents ultimate freedom. I love getting out by myself and letting pure impulse dictate what direction my next turn is going to take me. Riding with people works strongly against that ideal.

#24 ·
For me, snowboarding represents ultimate freedom. I love getting out by myself and letting pure impulse dictate what direction my next turn is going to take me. Riding with people works strongly against that ideal.
I feel the same way. When I'm riding with someone else I always have to keep them within my situational awareness. Are they ahead of me or behind me? Are they to my right or left? If we get separated have we agreed where to meet up? Did they fall? Are they stuck? All that mentation pulls focus and is very not zen.

#29 ·
Riding alone allows for zen time, but finding someone who constantly pushes you past limits is priceless. My brother is just that, and I'd prefer to ride with him if it meant I would constantly progress. There's something about not progressing that bums me out and ruins my day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.