Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder dislocation
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
garlicbread

i know my story isnt average but heres my experience. about 5 years ago i dislocated my shoulder pretty bad skating, i ended up having to go to the hospital and like you said have it put back in by a doctor and a few nurses. then it happened again a few weeks later at a rope swing... back to the hospital. after that it must have dislocated 50 times over the coarse of a year and i just learned how to put it back in myself. i was sooooo bumbed out for the longest time, no skating or snowboarding. i waited a while to get health insurance from work so i could get surgery, it was not practical for me to get arthroscopic surgery as i had done to much damage to the joint, i decided to have full blown open shoulder surgery (i forget the actual name for it) where a useless bone would be cut out and placed in the socket to replace the missing cartilage. the surgeon did a great job, after a painful 6 months to a year recovery, my shoulder was absolutely back to normal and to this day still is. long story short, shoulders are a bitch, my shoulder injury kept me away from snowboarding for 3 years as i was just afraid of hurting my shoulder, then dealing with the rehab/recovery phase.

Last edited by garlicbread; 12-11-2010 at 04:27 PM.
garlicbread is offline   Reply With Quote