Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder dislocation
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Willy36

Quote:
Originally Posted by notter123 View Post
yea my piece of advice would just make sure it feels 100% and you have full motion before you go back.

I dislocated my shoulder a year ago, playing hockey, and i was back playing in 3 or 4 weeks. Anyways just take your time, make sure its fully healed, cuz like any other joint, if its been damaged once, unless you get surgery it will never be as strong as it was, meaning easier to reinjure.

Another thing you could do is once you get full motion back, build up those shoulder, back, arm and chest muslces to support the joint more.
Yeah, unfortunately, while this is the first full dislocation, it is nowhere near the first issue I've had with my shoulders, so I know all about reinjury. Ironically, my physical therapists tell me a big part of the problem is that my chest and shoulders are too built, at least in relation to the upper back. I tried to train pretty evenly, but apparently I was doing something wrong.

Gonna go hard on PT this time around and get these fuckers strong. Tired of this bullshit and can't afford surgery (money OR downtime)
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote