Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboard Addiction - Video Instruction
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #75 (permalink)
rasmasyean
Veteran Member

I think the difference between these videos and many of the others is that they assume you know nothing.

The other videos are just people who have done it a long time and just instictively know how to move their bodies and assume you're going to move your 50 skeletal joints exactly the way they themselves do when you perform their trick.

Nev Lapwood describes the movements as if you've never been on a snowboard and also includes some easy to understand physics so you will understand WHY it works. Therefore, when you watch the videos, they actually "make sense" and you will understand what you have to accomplish with your OWN BODY in the real physical environment. And with some proper emphasis on some important details, it drills it into your head that you have to be aware of certain key pointers when you perform a trick. Nev also includes a lot of drills, which is important because it sometimes takes a while for muscle memory to establish even if you "know how it's supposed to be done". And you need to learn in incremental steps without killing yourself.

I actually would like it more if they included some more in depth physics and the "mechanics of a snowboard", etc. This would allow you to connect more with what's actually going on and figure out what mistakes you are making when it doesn't work right. It would also help you develop your own style by allowing you to use that knowledge to tweak or make new tricks. But I guess this would exclude some younger viewers and such and maybe bore ppl.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 12-14-2010 at 10:29 AM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote