Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboarder vs Tree

21K views 62 replies 40 participants last post by  jae 
#1 ·
I just found this forum tonight and figured it would be a good place to share my story. Back in February, I snowboarded into a tree at Breckenridge to avoid hitting someone in front of me. I severely fractured my right fibula and tibia and almost lost my foot. I had two surgeries to get two plates and 19 screws installed in both bones. I also had to get a skin transplant to help a wound heal.

Fast forward to last week, I found out that I broke both surgical implants during my physical therapy. I'm back to ground zero, facing my third surgery in a few weeks.

I was dying to get back on my board next February, but it looks like that's going to be pushed back. Anyone else have any problems like this?

I've been keeping a stupid blog up to date since February, mainly to share all of the gross pictures with friends and family. I was in an external fixator for a while. You can get to it at Snowboarder vs. Tree.

#3 ·
Getting your board in front of you is fine and dandy but it isn't always an option. Sounds like in this instance, riding in "control" would have served the OP better. If you have to take such a drastic measure to avoid hitting someone, control wasn't there. All above things given, probably a better choice to do what he did. Colliding with someone unexpectedly could kill. Good luck with the recovery. Sounds like it's going to be a bitch, but you will eventually put it behind you and you'll get back to riding at some point.

#5 ·
i was definitely not in control. i was leading with my switch foot for practice going way too fast. i got on my ass about a second before i hit the tree and took the entire impact with my board under my right foot. lesson learned the extremely hard way. i would have been able to avoid all collisions had i been leading with my right foot. sucks.

#11 ·
You do realize that if the OP had of hit the person there was a good chance he would have killed that person? Collision deaths are not uncommon at all at ski areas. Happens around a half dozen times each year in Colorado alone. His choice, though harsh, was the correct one. Saved someone at the very least serious injury. Falling down at that point was not an option, I'm sure he would have gladly used it if it was.

#12 ·
yeah -- i was not going to hit that person, i was going way too fast and she was about 100lbs smaller than me. it would have been bad news and she didn't deserve any of it. again, it was my fault for going so fast on my switch with not enough control.

#13 ·
Again, kudos to you for making the right choice in the end. You also are smart enough to realize what went wrong so you can avoid that mistake. Sucks that it had to be such a nasty injury instead of being able to brush yourself off and continue riding. How long of a recovery are the docs saying you are looking at?

Still, chicks dig scars...:D

Also, moving this to the slam section.

#14 ·
Before my nonunion diagnosis, I should have been ready to return to the slops by the end of the year. But after the diagnosis in late July, I'm facing a long recovery.

I'll have this external fixator on for three months. I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk right after it's removed in a fourth surgery. Physical therapy will take a while since the joint will be extremely stiff. I'm looking for a new physical therapist since my last one failed to see the red flags during our sessions, like grinding noises and the ankle bending a few inches above the joint. I'll eventually walk, though, probably with a limp. Hopefully biking and hiking can help me replace running for exercise.

I'm really hoping to hire someone to film and/or take pictures of my first day back snowboarding. I want to make sure I remember it. It's the single driving goal for me that's getting me through this crappy injury.

Thanks for the kudos, I still feel like an idiot for being so overconfident riding switch.

My wife is a nurse, I'll have to ask her if she's pumped about the massive amount of scarring.

#15 ·
If she says she isn't, she's lying. :)

It sounds like a bitch of an effort no doubt. Take you time with the injury and let it recover. This is one of those you certainly don't want to mess up. If you haven't read it already, I suggest reading "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson and his follow up book "This Game of Ghosts". If anything it'll make your injury seem a heck of a lot better than what this poor guy has gone through...

#16 ·
Quick Update

Had x-rays last week, things are healing along, but I still have about a 4mm gap in my fibula. Bone stimulators, which sound like voodoo, might actually be working on the tibia. One more surgery in November, if the bones are healing along, to take off the hardware and restart PT.

Once I return to boarding and can get back to where I was before, I'm hoping to start doing some cat and helicopter boarding. Anyone have any suggestions? So far I've looked into Ruby Mountain and Valdez Helicamps, Alaska.

If, for some lame reason, I get an ankle fusion, does anyone know if they make boots for ankles that don't bend?

#18 ·
Bone stimulators, which sound like voodoo, might actually be working on the tibia.
Google "knitbone", score you some and follow the instructions.

If, for some lame reason, I get an ankle fusion, does anyone know if they make boots for ankles that don't bend?
Ankles that dont bend = super responsive ;)

#24 ·
Thanks. I think now that the infection is gone things are going well. I was *extremely* lucky that my injuries weren't worse. Shittiest way to learn a hard lesson about always staying in control.

Did you dislocate your ankle at all? Or tear any tendons or ligaments? And it will feel better eventually. Sucks the hard wear broke. Anyway have good healing. Oh and vitamin D can help your body absorb calcium better. Hope your recovery starts going better and faster.
Well, it wasn't a dislocation. The foot was pushed about 2 inches up into the tibia/fibula and the bone fragments were severely displaced. I was really lucky that i didn't get too much soft tissue damage. unfortunately, after walking on it for 6 weeks with it broken, i think i did some bad soft tissue damage to the joint. oh well!

I've been taking Calcium supplements that also contain Vitamin D, but I also need to get out in the sun more to combat my massive paleness.

again -- thank you all for the awesome support. this forum rules.

#23 ·
Wow that sucks. I broke my tibia and shattered my fibula in about the same spot you did and dislocated my ankle last in june of 09, and now have 9 screws and a plate too. So I kinda feel your pain. Did you dislocate your ankle at all? Or tear any tendons or ligaments? And it will feel better eventually. Sucks the hard wear broke. Anyway have good healing. Oh and vitamin D can help your body absorb calcium better. Hope your recovery starts going better and faster.

#26 ·
Thanks for sharing your story and keeping a blog. This is a great source of inspiration for anyone that deals with any serious sports injury. Keep your chin up and just keep doing your PT - you'll be strapped back on a board - it's just a matter of when you are 100% ready. Obviously it's better to wait until you are fully healed to risk any futher damage but I bet it's maddening to be so patient.

And a big thumbs down to posters saying stuff like "just stay in control" or "let the board take the impact". Snowboarding is about pushing yourself and your ability and wouldn't be fun without that. I know personally I love glades and have had a few run ins with trees but luckily no injuries.

I worked at a mountain last year and saw many injuries - some serious. People do die skiiing and snowboarding - more often that you'd think. Sometimes it's a tree, another person, snowmobile etc. I've seen blood splattered all over the snow. I've seen a helmet cracked in two pieces by a kid landing on his head. I've seen a guy vomitting all over himself due to a concussion/head injury. More often than not these are experienced skiiers and riders just like everyone else - but again - sometimes shit just happens.

#27 ·
Your right, shit does happen and in split second scenario's you often can't make the best choice. However as an avid tree boarder, I completely disagree with not letting your board take the impact. I tree-board 70% of the time when I snowboard, and I have avoided taking really any injuries by ALWAYS throwing the board out in front of me and letting it take the impact. Chances are the board is not even gonna get damaged at all, but it will take your impact instead.

#29 ·
I'm a beginner and all these horror stories scare the shit out of me !:eek:
I'll have to be super careful and try not to f@#k myself in the ass and end up in a cast. I guess it's easier said than done but all I can do is get some more protective equipment. Beginners SUCK ass !! :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.