Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Burton X8 Review
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
PapaWood

Default Burton X8 Review

This weekend I got to take my brand new 151 Burton X8 on her maiden voyage. The set up I used was the Burton EST Binding system with 07 Burton Sabbath boots.

On Groom: I was extremely impressed with how well this board handled higher speeds for its size. The board was very stable, nimble and very responsive on hardpack. As a result of the added torsional flex of the ICS system, it was very easy to feel the terrain you were moving over changing. I was able to feel how the terrain was changing and orient my body accordingly to ride as smooth as possible. The WFO base was also fast as hell. I did however, feel a good bit of foot fatigue while using the EST binding system due to the increased foot flex and roll on the board.

In The Park: Burton did a really nice job of giving this board a great balance of both flex and pop. The board was very easy to butter with, gave great flex while jibbing, and was still able to handle bigger kickers. While this is still a softer board, I feel it has more than enough pop to it to suit someone hitting kickers or pipe fine.

On the Pow: The X8 was not the greatest pow stick I have tried. While he ability to move your stance quickly did help, the board still had trouble getting float I wanted in the pow. While I attribute a lot of this to the boards size, I do feel the boards overall design (flex, shape, etc.) is just on the poorer side for pow. I was able to still ride through thick pow, but it was a lot more work than I would be willing to put out for a long pow day.

Pros: Great all around freestyle performance. Stability at high speeds. Great flex. Incredible board feel! Butteriffic. Pop!

Cons: Hard to work with on pow. Baseless binding gave me some foot fatigue. Two screws holding your binding onto your board (time will tell if this is a problem).

My Overall Opinion: The X8 is a really great freestyle board. It is a really great board to take to the park for a day and hit any of a wide variety of terrain that a park offers. I do not however feel that the X8 would be real great for back country rides or longer free riding activites. The increased foot fatigue from the baseless binding made the board feel incredible, but made my feet very tired after a long day.

Last edited by PapaWood; 02-11-2008 at 05:51 PM.