Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Muscle Strain-Lower Back
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
JapanBigFoot

Default Daaaaang. Herniated Discs Suck.

Hey all,

So I herniated a disc about a month ago and didn't exactly know it. I was doing squats improperly and hurt my lower back. I went to a Bone Setter (Japanese translation) close to the school I work at because I was having some serioius back pain. He worked me over with some electric pads and slight twisting. Leaving there I felt worse than I had before.
The next day I was rushed to the hospital with debilitating pain that forced me to collapse on my kitchen floor.
a week later I was diagnosed with a herniated disc by my MRI results. My doctor told me not to snowboard for at least one month.
I cancelled two trips to Nagano for December and have shifted them to January.
I have healed considerably. I can walk and get out of bed no problems and don't need any pain killers. But I do still have this dull pain if I bend at the hip to my right. Like, if I slide my right hand down my right leg. I get a little shot of pain.

I'm just hoping that my back will be able to handle the twisting that snowboarding will put it through.

Any stretches I should do? Anything I should avoid while snowboarding. I know no one is a doctor (maybe) and I have read A LOT online, but I really want to hear from a snowboarders perspective...

Thanks!

-JBF
JapanBigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote