Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

do you use wrist protection?

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  john doe 
#1 ·
Just a follow up to my thread about the Level HalPipe gloves, and watching the skinny leather gloves posted recently.
I feel most people would say: use it at the beginning, then dont when your level improve.
But dont you think it's always safer to have it?

#3 ·
Never without. My current gloves have this shim at the top (Burton) and for me it never really gets in the way. Of course I can't bend my wrists back as I could without... But thats the friggen point.

The argument of "It limits my mobility" is bullshit. Same goes for back protectors. There is no movement you can't do with one on.

#4 ·
Answer to question in thread title: yes.
Answer to last question: yes.

I wear wrist guards under my gloves. They don't affect my riding in the slightest. Putting on the guards takes about 15-30 seconds per hand. Pulling on my gloves over the guards takes about 15-30 sec. longer per hand than it would take without the guards. Total investment of time, for both hands combined: 1 to 2 minutes.

#5 ·
I wear a dakine wrist guard on my left hand, which is my rear hand...it's the only one I continually have a problem with because I'm always putting it out to stop my falls.

It's a little uncomfortable at first but I've been wearing it for a few years now and I don't ever realize I'm wearing it.

Since I started wearing it I've only had one hard fall that tweaked my wrist but it would have been much worse had I not been wearing it.

#8 ·
I have thought about getting em, but i never have actually done it. Feel once on my wrist the first time i went snowboarding, and after that i learned how to fall, and i haven't hit my wrist since, but i still might get a pair of wrist gaurds

#9 ·
I didn't wear them when I started and I believe Im very lucky I didn't bust one of them. I still don't wear them but I did buy a pair for my girl when she started and I have that feeling that I should wear them this season..so Im going to find them and stuff them in a pocket so I have them.

#12 ·
Its a catch 22 for wrist protection. I actually broke my wrist in two places Friday, when I had it casted yesterday the doc told me they will save your wrist, but most likely break the arm or fingers as the force is just as great and has to go somewhere else.(obviously I wasn't wearing any, nor have I in the last few years, but the more you know!)

#15 ·
I recently spent a day learning to snowboard wearing Level Network gloves with their Biomex wrist protectors that are integrated into the glove. They were not uncomfortable (even when I had to pull the liner and wear them against my skin, as I found I could use a size larger glove) and saved my wrists bigtime! I took some pretty decent falls, and had nary an ache or pain in my wrists to show for it. I am now a firm believer in Level gloves with Biomex (make sure they have the wrist guards though, not all of their models do) and wholeheartedly recommend them to any and all persons wanting gloves with wrist protection, or wrist protection period. They were very comfortable, and have plenty of range of movement.

If you don't want to have to wear a seperate wrist guard under your gloves, Level is where its at! :)

Here is where I ordered mine from, and all the Level gloves they sell have the Biomex wrist protection built in. They even have ladies gloves too..

Protective Snowboarding Gloves: Buy now and avoid snowboarding injuries

#18 ·
Yes i use them and as a snowboard instructor i recommend everyone to do so.
A study in Sweden showed that out of a thousand days riding snowboarders will get injured three times (compared to one for skiers), 33% of these injuries are in the wrist area.
This means that by wearing wrist protection you will remove a third of your injuries.

Here is the study:
http://umu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:277311/FULLTEXT01

#19 ·
Good find Hellude! And that, my friends, is why I will almost always be wearing wrist protection when snowboarding. Especially when we have such awesome products as Level gloves to choose from.

To my way of thinking, its always better to have it, and not need it... then to need it, and not have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.