Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

09/10 season video

13K views 84 replies 49 participants last post by  dopamean 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im not sure if this is in the right section but it seemed to fit here the best compared to the others.

This is a recap of our 09/10 season. We make a video every year so we have something to look back on when we are older. We are not the best snowboarders in the world and were not the worst. This is not what the project is about. We go to have fun and live life the way we think more people should. (outdoors with you friends) Locations include Blue Mountain Pa, Hunter Mountain, Killington, Mount Snow, Steamboat, Mountain Creek, and The Snowed Inn. The entire video was shot on a GoPro Hero HD. It was edited using final cut studio 3. I have posted this on another forum and got very mixed reviews. I have no problems with constructive criticism. I just feel that many people didnt understand what the project is about. It is a memoir for friends and family to look back on. I know that the video is on the longer side and that there is alot of lifestyle and filler shots in it. I also know that the riding isnt the spectacular. This video is made for those you have fun snowboarding for what it is. Dont get all butthurt that we arnt hucking 7s every other clip. If you are excited for the upcoming season and enjoy watching others have fun doing a sport you love than enjoy. Otherwise im sorry for disapointing you. :D

Youtube also destroyed the quality since it was 15 mins. I am going to upload it to a purchased vimeo account as well and will provide a link if people are interested in purchasing a gopro. It is still very watchable though.

See less See more
#36 ·
First few days were filmed at 960p. I could have used it but i would have had to crop it down to fit the rest of my footage. Using 720p and 1080p together isnt as hard since you only have to scale the 1080p down a little. I would film 720p 60fps about 95% of the time. When coformed properly it came make for some really silky slow mo. I dont think i ever went down past more than a 60% speed change in the entire project. I could have easily went to 45% and lower with very little to no jaggedness. I plan on using twixtor for this years edit to drop some clips down to even 20% or lower smoothly.

If i had to make a recommendation to you it would be to save up for a little longer and buy the real camera. I feel like the 960p isnt going to be what your looking for in the look run.

#41 ·
I think i mustve watched your video like 10 times. Since ive been doing video edits myself ever since i got myself a gopro as well, i do appreciate the time and effort it mustve taken you.

I cant even imagine how long it took for youtube to upload that video of yours:eek: how big of a file was that? 3gb?

i just finally learned how to use Mac's iMovie maker....its a so so program for beginners...but i think im ready to purchase a better program with more possibilities. Any suggestions?

#43 ·
Im pretty sure at the time youtubes max was 1gb so i kept adjusting my bitrate while exporting till it was just under a gig. Facebook ironicly enough allows for 2gb. If you want the full quality version i have it on vimeo as well with a download option. If your just starting out imovie is great but if your willing to learn final cut express is a great stepping stone until your ready for final cut studio. Good luck and thanks for the kind words.

Heres the vimeo link. 09/10 snowboarding season on Vimeo The download is in the bottom right. That version is at 1.6 gigs. its all in the compression my friend.

#44 ·
Burke, I'm really wanting FCE and I'm about to take the plunge. But, do you have any idea/heard any info if Apple's gonna be releasing an updated version of FCE any time soon??? I don't want to drop $200 on FCE only to have a new version roll out soon! It's been a long time since it's been updated and I just purchased a Canon HF S20 with native 24p(which FCE4 does not support). Wait or go ahead and purchase FCE4?

#49 ·
You can never truely know when apple will release a new product. With that said steve jobs has responded to consumer emails in the past saying a final cut studio update is coming soon and we will not be disapointed. This if true of course doesnt exactly mean that express will get updated although i would think it would. So as far as me answering that question i have NO IDEA lol. Congrats on the new camera. If your running a mac which god i hope you are considering your asking about final cut, i would recommend mpeg streamclip. Its a free software which can convert whatever clips you have into a apple friendly format. If you using final cut express convert your clips to apple intermediate codec. If you are using final cut pro use apple pro res 422. I am not saying that there are ways to get final cut studio or final cut express free or that i would know how to do that, but if you pm me im sure i could help you with other questions you might have about other things that have nothing to do with pirating final cut. :laugh:

#45 ·
Now this is what snowboarding is all about. Friends, good times, good memories. This is definitely one of my favorite snowboarding videos now. Heck, I want to start filming in the near future because of this.

Thanks for sharing this and amazing job done man!

#46 ·
Never knew this thread was on here. Randomly stumbled on this vid on youtube about a month back. I've watched it a dozen times since then. Super well done, Interesting and enjoyable. Vids like this make me want to go board. Make sure to post up next years as well, if you do another.

#50 ·
Thankyou for the views. We only have about 4k views on youtube which by youtube standards might as well be 0, but its nice to think that others are enjoying watching us have a blast on the hill. We have been filming alot this year and although we didnt have any big trips this year, we think we are still going to be able to make a great video. We are experimenting with some new mounts and are trying to push our riding to a level that is respected by most of our viewers lol. I always stress that its more about us making video that we can look back on when we are older and remember the good times, but at the same time i want to have something that is impressive to people who can actually ride. I will for sure post it when its finished and hope that everyone enjoys it as much as last years.

#52 ·
Absolutely loved the video.

Captured the essence of friends and fun. Great job.

I would like to second the suggestion about getting some mountain info in your clips. Your memory will begin to fail you as you get older. It sucks sometimes when the dates and times begin to blend together.
Just something as simple as including a shot of a base sign showing the mountain trails with maybe the year written in the snow. Simple, yet effective.

Great job overall. Well done.:D

#59 ·
Here I am a year later to share last seasons edit with you guys. I was shocked by the response i got last year and was thrilled you all enjoyed the video so much. Here is the new thread with the new edit.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ph...edia/42738-10-11-season-video.html#post435463

I know this is a cross-post and I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum so if a mod sees this as wrong just delete the comment.

#63 ·
Its called a vignette. Some people say using vignettes is a crutch for footage but i don't care. I love the way it ends up looking. I did soft black oval border vignette and a defocus vignette. I did these both in apples "color" app which is part of the final cut studio 3 suite but you can def do it in after effects or final cut itself. good luck.

#65 ·
If i can make a suggestion. Take the time to watch the tutorials from lynda.com They can help you just learn basic editing all the way through after effects and color grading. Amazing company with great resources. They even give you sample files to play with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.