Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Review: 2011 K2 Turbo Dream, 390 Boss, Restricted Hail
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I've been interested in this board the last couple years, so I'm wondering what normally happens for you when you hit an unexpected ice patch? Also what board/s do you consider to hold an edge well on ice?
Well, my main board being a posi cambered directional, ice really has not posed a problem for me. The only problem I experience on ice with my main is edge transitioning. That just means I have to ride through the patch straight or skid turn my way through. Stability is a non issue though. The TD's main issue was lack of stability due to the lack of edge hold on ice. In it's defense however, I was out of my element. We rarely have good snow here. The terrain at the peak of Mt Rose the first day was a mixture of good snow and ice patches. So one second I'm riding fairly smooth snow then the next I'm hitting a patch.

As for boards that I consider to ride well on ice, I find magnetraction anything to handle really well. I also favor posi cambered boards that are mid-stiff to stiff. Ride's slimewalls are fairly good as well as Burton's frostbite edges with the latter being the better of the two.

I'm interested to see if K2 will come up with an answer to edge hold on ice in the future. Harshmellow does a great job on dampening, but ice still poses a slight problem. Like I said though, it wasn't enough of a problem to make me wash out. I did the first few times, but was able to easily compensate. I did so by making skidded turns so I wasn't on one edge too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Typically that's always on the side of any blue/green run on the best coast
Yea, I was on a blue run when I did that. The couple of blacks I did at Diamond were still awesome, but the better riders/skiers pretty much ate up the entire terrain. On that blue I was on, only the middle was tracked so I had lots of fun doing side hits.

Last edited by Leo; 12-24-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote