Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Blank Snowboards?

36K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  dreampow 
#1 ·
#10 ·
That's the real problem, isn't it? There's no information on the boards other than price, length, and the fact that they're reverse camber. At minimum, they should have paid someone well-known to ride the things and posted the vid. Even without commentary from the celebrity rider, it would at least prove that the things exist and can be ridden.

These really are a great concept -- price is low for those who can't afford expensive (especially if they're reasonably good for the price), the blankness would appeal to counterculture, core, and anti-capitalism types, and the blank canvas is sure to have the would-be artists drooling. In fact, if you were a really good artist you could work a business off this where someone buys a blank and you do a custom job on it.

But to establish credibility, the Blank people should A) put up the aforementioned vid, and/or some reviews by known people, B) put up more info on the configuration of the boards -- at minimum whether they're directional or twintip, how soft they are, etc.

Failing that, I predict a big fail coming up.

#12 ·
i had the same reservations, but looking at the "about us" on the website, the company is owned by 2 retired pro riders. Brandon Baybee and Jason Murphy. Jason murphy has been sponsored by sims and atomic before, as well as help work on the AMPED video game for xbox, and he even went as far as to have his photo on the cover of amped, which in my opinion completely solidifies the companys credibility.

#11 ·
I think i might take the chance to be honest! Its a good price and really how bad could a board be? Feel like I could use it for a bit of messing around on!? I am studying graphic design so I would like to do some art work for it! If I get one ever I will let you guys know how they ride

#14 · (Edited)
Call me a skeptic. Are these made in China by child prison slave labor? The English in the sales copy is horrendous...reminds me of the e-mails I get from a certain Nigerian uncle who claims to be holding $10,000,000 for me. And what about the specs? These are apparently miracle boards, perfect for everything. As the copy says, "This board performs at a high level in the park, pipe, floating groomers, or in the backcountry. And it makes perfect Julian fries. They boast about the cutting edge technology in the board's construction, which I see none of, and then you see that the board has an extruded base. Cutting edge? Doesn't sound cutting edge to me.

Still, I like the idea of custom graphics, but how are you going to do that? Paint right on top of the 'glass? Good luck getting your work to last a season without being sealed under some sort of resin. I've seen sites online that offer true customizable boards, where you can choose length, radius, etc, and even upload your own topsheet design. These boards just sound like a bunch of cookie-cutter blanks, and fairly cheap ones at that. Perhaps the company agreed to buy up all of the dregs from one of the giant manufacturers. I don't know what their deal is...but it doesn't matter much. I couldn't ride a 157 anyway (their longest board), so I guess I'll never know.

#15 ·
Still, I like the idea of custom graphics, but how are you going to do that? Paint right on top of the 'glass? Good luck getting your work to last a season without being sealed under some sort of resin. I've seen sites online that offer true customizable boards, where you can choose length, radius, etc, and even upload your own topsheet design. These boards just sound like a bunch of cookie-cutter blanks, and fairly cheap ones at that. Perhaps the company agreed to buy up all of the dregs from one of the giant manufacturers. I don't know what their deal is...but it doesn't matter much. I couldn't ride a 157 anyway (their longest board), so I guess I'll never know.
To be fair to them, I don't believe they ever promoted these as a board you could put custom graphics on. That's just some people on this thread who haven't looked into custom graphics and snowboards (it's a bitch, and it's probably going to be expensive).

To be honest, the second part of your post about the cookie-cutter blanks (to be honest, a lot of boards could be described as cookie-cutters) that are cheap seems to be their shtick. Looks like they want to offer boards that are pretty damn cheap and still will perform somewhat well (yes, they're going to exaggerate on the boards' abilities, who doesn't?). As someone mentioned, also get a sort of counter-culture vibe going.

Skateboarding has blank decks as well if I recall correctly. Actually screwed up the industry for a bit (might still be? :dunno:)

#18 ·
Ya know, it turns out a couple of the things I registered as concerns are things they have dealt with, but you don't find that out unless you dig around their site a bit. I'm beginning to think that this is a totally legit enterprise started by a group of people who have a great idea, but between them they have all the marketing savvy of a dead squirrel. They really should be putting links or references (or a FAQ) on their front page. People will not beat a path to your door!

#21 ·
total nigerian scammers haha. how can you attend the dew tour if you're in china! LOL!

this is their blog on their site. i wouldn;t trust them.
"Blog/News
Dew Tour

Post date: 01/19/2010 - 00:11
Description:
The Dew Tour made there stop here in Utah this last weekend, and I had a chance to go and check it out. Dude! These riders are from a different breed. I saw some amazing athletes, with some amazing talent, these riders must live, breath and sleep pipe and slope style.

As I was walking around checking out the scene, and visiting the riders tents. It amazes me to see where snowboarding has gone and what it has become. I love this sport more than anything, and it is pretty cool to witness all the growth in it. But at the same time it is really sad to watch all these young riders who dont have any real love for the sport. It is all about sponsorship, and what drink company you ride for, and what size of park jump that you can hit.
What happened to the soul of snowboarding, where park jumps dont exsist, the only thing to jib was a rock or tree. I am not saying what the sport has know is wrong or bad, it just makes me miss what I had.

Sometimes when I go off on these silly little tangents, I maybe think that I am just a bitter snowboarder that cant do all the new tricks or going through a mid life crisis, that it is just my age, and that I need to addapt to this new world. This new world of snowboarding is not fun. It really makes me want to push Blank snowboards even harder. Blank Snowboards is the soul of snowboarding, we are just a bunch of washed up dudes who remember what once was. It not about the silly bling, its not about who is wearing what. I miss being able to go to the hill wearing a pair of jeans and hoodie and hooking with some bro's that are down. I am sick of the vibe fest that you get while you are waiting in a lift line, dudes checking you out and seeing if you wearing 09 gear or the new 2010 gear. Do my stickers match my outfit? I am going to end my rant know, and just say that I am so sick of all of these corperate companies running the show by making us think that we have to rock there gear to be cool, Im sick of being a billboard advertisment for these companies that have ruined the sport."

#27 ·
So, i friended blank snowboards on facebook, and this (even more) clears up any concern that i might have had about the company. Theres tons of people who are saying that theyre great boards, people are mentioning how they just got theirs in the mail, there are numerous real life pictures of peoples boards. People are taking pictures showing that theyre writing random stuff on them

Example:

a "to do" list:

#29 ·
hahah not at all. i have no idea who these guys are, never used one of their boards. im just posting things as i figure them out as i was a bit (ok, a lot) skeptical when i found out about them. I do think they have an interesting look on the whole snowboarding culture though, and i agree with most of it.

Plus it does sound like a good deal, so why not try and spread the word?

#36 ·
So I emailed them and Benson Miller emailed me back. From what I gather they are all the same board just in different sizes, reverse or standard camber, and diff colors. He said they are supposed to be freestyle boards with a flex of 3 to 3.5

I asked him a few other things so we'll see what happens when he emails me back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.