Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboarding in real snow, what a difference.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  PaoloSmythe 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Im from the Northeast Pocono's area and always gone to local mountains here. All the mountains especially this season have been real icy. It doesnt bother me because this is what I learned to snowboard on, but we went to Hunter Mountain in NY this weekend and wow. They didnt get a ton of snow, but there was a few inches of new natural powder. What a difference. It was so easy to turn and the snow was so soft. I wasnt used to turning and not hearing ice scraping. It was so much fun. Although our last run it was snowing so hard that we couldnt see 2 feet in front of us. The wind was crazy and people where falling left and right all in front of us. At one point I couldnt even tell if I was moving. It was definitely and experience.

Just thought Id share my experience. :)

Sorry just realized I posted this in the wrong section.

#3 ·
You should take a long weekend up to VT or NH next time...

Coming from somebody who grew up skiing (after 20 years of skiing just switched to boarding this season) in the Poconos, and has been to Hunter a half-dozen times VT and NH are just another step in the right direction - especially with fresh powder

I'd say the magnitude of improvement from Hunter to VT/NH mountains is about half of the improvement from Camel Back or Big Boulder to Hunter...but still well worth the extra few hours in the car

Now if you want a real experience head out west, where some places have been getting powder by the foot...dont know the last time a New England resort could make that claim

G
#6 ·
I know what you mean. On Feb.9,2008 I went to a small Mt. called Maple Ski Ridge, I mean this is a really small Mt. but it nice and it was snowing all day and alot of people left early. I dont know why but everyone was going down the middle of the hills only! I was like wtf there is enough powder right to the sides to go down. So I went down the hill in the fresh powder and it was so awsome I thought I shit and creamed in my pants it was that good. I went down it all day. I love powder. It is snowing right know were I live and I want to go so bad. That was one of my experiences.

G
#7 ·
I have to admit living in the east coast sucks! We never get enough powder. Being a beginner and all, I value powder (as falling doesn't hurt as much). Only wish I have the $$$ to go to somewhere with fresh powder all the time.

#9 ·
Mmh. The other night I was boarding, and it was all ice...until about an hour before close, it started snowing and raining a bit. After that, I went to the top...and hit a lot of powder and almost jizzed myself :)

Almost made the night of falling worth it...so to make it worth it, I did that run again, then went home.

nice pictures too...photoshop filters? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.