Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#353 ·
oh man this thread died a silent death nobody on here in 36 hours???

boardaddicktd & i hit up the PK last night. All of you should have been there but you were not there. It was the first sesh this winter where I rode mostly on the tow-ropes & my lats are destroyed today from

gls:maverick reports that today at ALpine Valley conditions were about as epic as SE Michigan is capable of.

Wednesday next week looks good.

#357 ·
Went to Holly last night.

Cold as a bitch and insanely packed. I never want to go when there are that many kids again.

My gf had some little girl smash into her from behind and her prick dad didn't even say anything. She was out of control and her dad should have slowed her down.

Also had multiple out of control assholes going 100mph thru the slower runs like the yellow lift to the far right, people literally riding OVER my board, and little asshole kids continually running into my shit in the lift line.

Sorry for the rant but it was ridiculous.

#358 ·
Was at PK yesterday pretty fun though it was super windy. To those who ride pinery(or whatever the big jump line is called), what's up with the first jump? I couldn't find enough speed and knuckled twice. The 3 below are fine but I couldn't get across the first. After i fell i saw everybody else skipping it, and only a single skier did the jump but he carried speed from the higher up lift.

#360 ·
just got back from an awesum wknd at crystal mtn! damn that place is nice. had a sweet ass condo, outdoor hot tub, the whole works! gotta love northern michigan! conditions were pretty good although i didn't have many boxes to choose from. the had a line set up under their high-speed but they were a little too sketchy for me. nice boarder-X course set up in the back of the north face. lines were lengthy at times but not overly bad. bashed my knee on some ice off a kicker saturday night so my knees pretty swollen now. i hate to do it, but i think this upcoming week might be my mid-season rest and maintenance week! i think my bod wants a week off and my board alrady needs sum maintenance.

#361 ·
@boardaddicktd no worries on taking a break this week I just went out & rode again today so I might be taking this week off too just depends how i'm feeling come Wednesday/Thursday.

Alpine Valley today was stellar, lift lines were thin to non-existent although the slopes seemed a little busy. They are killing it with their park this year. Haven't been to AV in a few years but they easily have the best park in SE Michigan. Their kickers were pretty sketch like some of them were nearly vert and the tables were short so they're the jumps that shoot you too the moon which I don't like.

They have a halfpipe if you're in to that, and a boarder-x course (which was nothing special, but at least they had one).

Their rail/box features were superb with many very long flat rails/boxes they had one rail that was easily 40 feet long like a 4" OD pipe, a few down rails/boxes, some kinked flat/down or down/flat boxes etc.

#372 ·
Oh suuuuuure David. Weekends are good unless Leo finally has time to go. Heaven forbid there's Michigan ice on that day :mad:

Just kidding :laugh:

I will be upset for real if the next time I can go out, none of you can. I don't want to hear excuses like "conditions are going to suck."