Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Damned if you do, damned if you don't
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Biggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
Euros have notoriously poor work ethics in my field, while as you'd expect, Asians are the hardest workers and Americans settle somewhere in the middle. So, as a result, we get flak for being greedy and working too hard from the Euros and for not caring about our futures and being too lazy from the Asians... hence the thread. Go figure.

We gotta be the biggest bunch of conniving, shortcut seeking, sick day taking, honest, hard-working, lazy SOB's on the planet.
Hahah

I was talking with some folks over an 'open house' type event at a school I was looking at and a few of the Europeans were horrified that we didn't get 6-7 weeks of vacation per year. They kept asking about good career paths in the states with a good work/life balance and when we'd list off some 45-55 hr/week jobs with 3 weeks of paid vacation that fit their 'desired income' range, they thought we were joking. They all wanted the good pay WITH the 7 weeks of paid vacation AND the 40 hour max work week. Needless to say, most of them sound as if they'll head right back across the pond upon obtaining their degree. As for your reference regarding the Asians, they tended to all want to head into the elite-income jobs where you're working 100 hour weeks. It's definitely an interesting phenomenon.