Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Damned if you do, damned if you don't
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
KIRKRIDER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Hahah

I was talking with some folks over an 'open house' type event at a school I was looking at and a few of the Europeans were horrified that we didn't get 6-7 weeks of vacation per year. They kept asking about good career paths in the states with a good work/life balance and when we'd list off some 45-55 hr/week jobs with 3 weeks of paid vacation that fit their 'desired income' range, they thought we were joking. They all wanted the good pay WITH the 7 weeks of paid vacation AND the 40 hour max work week. Needless to say, most of them sound as if they'll head right back across the pond upon obtaining their degree. As for your reference regarding the Asians, they tended to all want to head into the elite-income jobs where you're working 100 hour weeks. It's definitely an interesting phenomenon.
I don't want 100 hour a week or to be rich. I want time to spend with my kids and on my board. Work to live, not the other way around.
Having time to travel, read, learn, share and be just yourself makes for a more rounded more intelligent and more savy person.

But here we grow consumers, not persons. The lazier and less informed..the better. They are easier and better..consumers.

Smell the coffee?
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06