Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Wax

4K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  SUPERGILDO 
G
#1 ·
I have used SWIX and Zardoz NotWax. Both are good waxs but Im thinking of trying another brand maybe. So what do you guys put on the bottom of your boards and is it any good?

G
#5 ·
That is what I'm afraid of. I only know from watching you tube videos. Not just any videos though.... Snowolf actually recommended them. Seemed easy but I'm scared of messing up the base.

G
#7 ·
It depends on what kind of wax you use. There is liquid, paste, and hot wax. Liquid wax you just applie evenly, buff it over board, take off extra and go, but I like to let it sit for 5-7 min to soke in. Paste wax you applie on board and buff it like the liquid wax. Hot wax is hard wax you heat up and put on your board (I have never done it, make sure you have some show you how to before you try it!) It isnt hard, you will not mess up you base as long as you spread it evenly and there is no bald spots.

#8 ·
I use Dakine wax and I'm pleased with it. I've tried Swix a long time ago before I knew enough to know the difference. Bluebird is also pretty damn good from what I can tell. I've never really used a wax I didn't like unless it was warm weather wax and it was cold outside. Board felt like glue!

#10 ·
Waxing is pretty easy...used a metal scraper my first time...don't think it was a good idea, but there was still some wax left over on top when I was done...and I was still goin pretty fast (er, too fast to be comfortable with on 2nd time snowboarding, and I'm used to the speed from skiis...)

Used whacks wax that time. My brother hated it because the bottom of his board is white, and the wax was black...:p

G
#12 ·
i was always under the impression that you put wax on the board to cover up the dings in the bottom, thats why you scrapped. so why would it matter what kind of wax you used or if you used the factory wax.

or is wax there to also give your board that extra speed? I mean, since you guys are saying the factory wax is no good, then I am guessing it has to do with other things.

G
#14 ·
gotcha, that makes sense, but i have a plastic rome scrapper and when scrapping my board after a hot wax, my friend made a good point. he said "isn't that taking off all the wax" becuase while scrapping a lot of the majority of the wax was coming off.

G
#17 ·
ok when you "hot wa" how long do you wait before scraping. because there is a step call hot waxing to clean the based of the board. and its when you scrape the base while the wax is still hot and it pulls all the dirt and grime off.

when you are waxing to ride it, you need to let the wax cool as long as possible. You scrape off the wax that doesnt soak into the pore like ^^^ someone said. If you left all the wax, it would be incredibly slow. you will feel this on a bad wax job. it will feel catchy. also waxing keeps your base from drying out. the wax oils the base and thats why after a lot of trips with no waxings you will get that white dry lookin areas.

when you get good at waxing (im still getting better) you will learn how to use as little wax as possible. then you wont be scraping off so much. but just tell your buddy, youre not supposed to coat the board, youre supposed to get the wax into the miscropsopic pores ;)

G
#15 · (Edited)
I dont really hot wax my board like you do, but you scrap off the extra so it has a level and even base. The hot wax goes in the pores of the base like all waxes but you have to heat up the hard wax, and you are taking off what didnt go in and that is just extra. Also you dont have to hot wax your board all the time, there is liquid and paste wax witch I mostly use both of these. Hot wax is a hard wax that you want as the first layer but you can put a differet softer wax as a second layer on the bottom of the first layer.

G
#26 ·
I dont know if soy wax is non toxac or if other waxes are toxic. I would assume not but I have never looked into it :shrug:

I use a brillo pad to smooth the base. It works well and is the most relaxing part of the job. I always do it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.