Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Stop the Potheads!

18K views 92 replies 52 participants last post by  ARSENALFAN 
#1 ·
seriously?

Forest Service Goes After 'Smoke Shacks' and Their Builders Within Crested Butte Ski Area
Articles - News - Resorts

Mt. Crested Butte, CO - U.S. Forest Service rangers in the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests report that they continue to hunt down and destroy illegal marijuana "smoke shacks" within the boundaries of Colorado's Crested Butte ski area, and indicate that they will continue to prosecute the builders and maintainers of the structures.

The shacks constitute illegal structures built on Forest Service land, officials say. Those structures found are torn down and their builders and users prosecuted, for according to officials, even tightening a wire holding the structure together, or clearing a path to the structure is considered to be maintaining it.

In December, two Western State College students were fined $850 each for building an illegal structure within the ski area, and were banned from Crested Butte Mountain Resort as a result of their actions. Additional structures were later located in February. A similar sweep at Crested Butte in February 2008 also resulted in arrests.

The illegal structures are not confined to Crested Butte. Similar smoke shacks were located and destroyed at Snowmass Ski Area near Aspen, Colo. in 2007. Forest Service officials have indicated that such inspection operations are routine at ski areas operating on public land.

Forest Service Goes After 'Smoke Shacks' and Their Builders Within Crested Butte Ski Area :: First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine :: The ski and snowboard world at your keyboard

See less See more
#36 ·
1. If I knew where that shack was, I'd stay there instead of renting a room. Damn
2. We have many of those huts on our mountain. Each is made of different materials and with different architecture.
3. In times of low tourist activity our local smokers don't bother to use these huts. They light up on the lift doesn't matter who is on there with them. I used to think they were being rude by not offering. However, they probably would have been breaking the law if they had offered.

#38 ·
ive heard of a couple up here, but ive never found them.

I do have some questions though:

Can any random just stop and use one of these shacks or do you have to be givin permission by the "in crowd" that frequents the shack?

Whats usually in the shack? is it just an empty hole in the side of the hill, or do people actually stock them with food/beer/chairs/whatever?

Basically im wondering the etiquette of the smoke shack, if there is any? Id love to find and use one, but not at the cost of an altercation by the builder or in crowd of the shack.

#75 ·
I did this once. My first time. Every 2 foot tall mogul was the size of a SUV. I felt like I had to crawl around them...

Needless to say I took 1 run and ended my day with that.

I got so scared watching the weather channel I've never taken acid again.

Stupid things one does when they are young...

#56 ·
Etiquette wise, i know it used to be, always, always clean it when you leave. And don't harm or damage it.

If you take a beer or two, replenish next trip. Same with joints or roaches. A lot of people just left the roaches in there for others and it was always expected to leave one in return when you could.

I had some friends go up there in the summer and grab all the roaches when the town was dry, then they'd roll some pinners and just leave them there once town was supplied again.

#61 ·
Oh man, if I weren't such a softie.. and having my rent paid I would have already told her off... but no she's pretty cute, she's been on MTV a few times for that teen mom show or whatever... not a mom XD just one of the friends....

She'd never say a damn thing about me boarding she knows better, it's my life lol... example:

me-"Hey beeb I got 300$ for christmas.... I'm going to buy this snowboard for 200$ used off geartrade....."
her-"You don't need another snowboard"
me-"oh"
(Two weeks pass my snowboard comes in, que me being obnoxiously stoked)
her-"That was an unnecessary expense... you shouldn't have bought that"
me-"You're an unnecessary expense, but I keep you around."

So.. yeah girl doesn't fux with my snowboarding and I won't smoke.... until she goes off to work around the country this spring.. :\

#62 ·
Oh man, if I weren't such a softie.. and having my rent paid I would have already told her off... but no she's pretty cute, she's been on MTV a few times for that teen mom show or whatever... not a mom XD just one of the friends....

She'd never say a damn thing about me boarding she knows better, it's my life lol... example:

me-"Hey beeb I got 300$ for christmas.... I'm going to buy this snowboard for 200$ used off geartrade....."
her-"You don't need another snowboard"
me-"oh"
(Two weeks pass my snowboard comes in, que me being obnoxiously stoked)
her-"That was an unnecessary expense... you shouldn't have bought that"
me-"You're an unnecessary expense, but I keep you around."

So.. yeah girl doesn't fux with my snowboarding and I won't smoke.... until she goes off to work around the country this spring.. :\
Dear God bro, run. It's gonna get worse.:eek:

#64 ·
Quite a few shacks in Breckenridge. Only one i've heard of being torn down was a pretty damn big tree house about 30 feet up in the air. The last time I was in it last season I blazed with a couple ski patrols haha. I'd assume they had just gotten off shift but who knows

#78 ·
They fall is when you do it every year. Forrest surveys through August and early September then gives the list to the mtn. They then go take down marked trees, log rails, shacks and whatever else they want. A good friend of mine does the survey and manages the teams that do it every year. Mtn ops usually doesn't care about the shacks up here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.