Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

getting new gear... need some help!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tarzanman 
#1 ·
I currently have a powder room snowboarding coat that I bought last year from sportsmart for 150$. The thing is, I've grown to hate it. I hate that it's all black, and bulky and short and that the powder skirt rides up on me. I've been browsing all day and the jacket that I like the most is the Burton Prowess Jacket (Women's Burton Prowess Jacket | Burton Snowboards) with 10 000mm waterproof and 6 000g breathability (it's an all-season shell). I really like the look of it but I have some issues:

Burton as a brand: I keep getting told that it's either the royal royce of snowboarding gear or that it's overpriced crap... obviously an opinion thing but is this jacket overpriced at 259$? I don't care about brands, but I do care how it looks and feels and the features. What should I expect from a jacket at this price?

Shell: I've never had just a shell. I'm in BC and the temperature is usually between -5 celsius and +4 celsius. Currently I wear a thin base layer, a thermal waffle shirt, and if need be a zip-up fitness sweater thing and my jacket but I find I get really sweaty with all those layers and then really cold on the lift. Will this shell be warm enough if I replace my fitness sweater with fleece on cold days?

Alternatives: If any one knows of any alternatives, something similar in style from a different brand that's cheaper.. that'd be great! I don't like monotone jackets and i like colour.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sessions Climate 2 in 1 Jacket - On Sale - Women's - GearBuyer.com

Four Square Chrissy Jacket - On Sale - Women's - GearBuyer.com

these are some alternative i found on the site you gave me and the price is much better for the prowess there too:
Burton Prowess Jacket - On Sale - Women's - GearBuyer.com

I guess the prowess is the lesser of the three products? I like the look of it the most although the other two are good also. The foursquare is the cheapest but the burton on sale is close. I just can't decide :dunno:

#4 ·
Wow I had wrote a huge reply and I have no idea what happened but it does not seem to have been posted. There is a nice Gore-tex Jacket from MEC that is around 190. It would be cheaper in then end then ordering from the states. Oh and if you want Burton you would have to get it sent to someone across the boarder, I just tried to order pants and it told me I am not allowed to order that product for delivery to Canada. I Had forgot that Burton does that.

The gore-tex would be a good option since your either near Vancouver or on the Island with those temperatures and we get a lot of wet snow. ( I am in Victoria) The MEC jacket may not have as nice of Colours or such but it is functional.
MEC Juggernaut Jacket (Women's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

If your actually in Vancouver go check out the arcteryx outlet store in North Vancouver, they sometimes have gear close to half price.

#5 ·
Out of the three above I think the Sessions is the best as it is rated the highest at 10000 Water proof and 15000 Breathability. But any Gore-tex would beat that. Have you tried winners? My Girl friend picked up a nice name brand 2009 model there that was rated 20k/20k for $150. The guys stuff seems sparce but they always seem to have a lot of womens Snow board gear.

#7 ·
Don't fret too much over the brand. Burton is a big popular brand that everyone is heard of.

Like most brands... they make some nice products and they make some crap products.

Pay attention to the features that the shells/jackets you are looking at offers. One brand you mentioned, Foursquare, is owned by Burton (and quite decent for the most part), so don't get too hung up on the label.

In my opinion, you should not be paying 'skier' prices. $300 is entirely too much for a snowboard jacket unless you are determined to pay full retail price for a current season jacket.

Your budget should be between $70-$150 for a jacket with a moderate-full feature set
Waterproof rating, zippered vents, fully taped zips/seams, lift pass holder, powder skirt and wrist gaiters (if you want them).

In my experience, being warm on the lift = being hot/sweaty on the slopes. I have yet to figure out how to balance these two extremes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.