Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - getting new gear... need some help!
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tarzanman
Veteran Member

Don't fret too much over the brand. Burton is a big popular brand that everyone is heard of.

Like most brands... they make some nice products and they make some crap products.

Pay attention to the features that the shells/jackets you are looking at offers. One brand you mentioned, Foursquare, is owned by Burton (and quite decent for the most part), so don't get too hung up on the label.

In my opinion, you should not be paying 'skier' prices. $300 is entirely too much for a snowboard jacket unless you are determined to pay full retail price for a current season jacket.

Your budget should be between $70-$150 for a jacket with a moderate-full feature set
Waterproof rating, zippered vents, fully taped zips/seams, lift pass holder, powder skirt and wrist gaiters (if you want them).

In my experience, being warm on the lift = being hot/sweaty on the slopes. I have yet to figure out how to balance these two extremes.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote