Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarder missing at Berthoud
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

I am afraid this one isn't going to have a happy ending. S&R is evidently searching the Apron.

Search continues for snowboarder missing at Berthoud pass - The Denver Post

Quote:
The search is concentrated in an area where an avalanche occurred on Monday afternoon. The area is above Seven Mile Run, near the second switchback from the top of Berthoud on the Grand County side, according to Foley. Backcountry skiers might refer to the area as "below the fingers."
"Below the fingers" would be the Apron which is the slope below the High Trail Cliffs. The Choke, The Knuckle, and the fingers all go through that cliff band. It's a pretty rad area, but you have to be wary of getting swept from above. Then the snow at the exit is a big Apron (hence the name) of snow working down. It slides a lot and it also tends to slide big. Yesterday morning I observed that it already had three naturals on it. Two point release slides and slab fracture. Snow was already reloading it. I really hope this guy was not out there, one could be buried very deep in that spot.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote