Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarder missing at Berthoud
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I heard this morning that the dog was also buried and killed.

My experience with the pooches in the backcountry is that they often get flushed out and not buried, but obviously that is not 100% of the time. Lighter weight, the constant swimming motion, generally keeps them on top. Riding with a dog, also makes me extra conservative when out there. I don't want to lose my best friend and putting a beacon on him is not an option. There are lines where I make my partners hold onto Cody while I drop. Then after I give the all clear they send him down. If I don't trigger a slope, it's not likely a little 50lb dog is going too. Still, that does freak me out a bit. Sound decision making skills are pretty much required if you want to ride with you dog in the bc. Unfortunately there wasn't much of this in this situation. 26 is too young to die and there are a bunch of people hurting now that he is gone. I do remember seeing Jeff on the pass here and there.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote