Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Waterproof/Breathability - CONFUSED/EXPLAINED
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Kjerstin Klein

Default Apples to Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
SO I have been reading through the forums and saw this article and it has been very knowledgable, thank you. I was curious about peoples opinions on the following two pairs of Pants, they are on sale so not to bad right now. I live up on Vancouver Island in BC Canada and we tend to get a lot of damp snow since we are so close to the ocean.

The first ones are more of a skiing pant but I do like the Bib style.
Spyder Bormio Pant - On Sale - Men's - GearBuyer.com

The spyders claim to have 20k water resistance and 30k breatability but that would make it more breatable then both eVENT and Gore-tex.

The other pair are these Burtons which seem nice as well.

Burton AK 2L Cyclic Pants - On Sale - Men's - GearBuyer.com
You are comparing two totally different pants - you might as well ask if you should drive a Ferrari or a Land Rover

The Spyder is not 'more' of a ski pant it is the epitome of ski pants. Don't get me wrong - it is a GREAT pant. It is insulated, has super weather protection and the suspenders are great. It has a narrow fit from Hip and Leg down to the ankle - this is IN these days in both ski and snowboard but you have to decide if you like that. It is made in a mechanical stretch fabric so there is give and it is not atight fit, just narrow.

The Burton is a Gore-tex product, it is a 2 ply shell with waterproof zips - also a top of the line for waterproofness but has a baggy fit - not huge but more of the traditional snowboard cut. Keep in mind, it is just a shell.

To make a good decision you need to think about how you are going to use the pant - what conditions do you REALLY find yourself in and consider the style you like best, what suits your personal taste as well as where/what you ride.

Both pants are great quality, you won't go wrong with that - good luck!

See ya on the slopes!