Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#377 ·
David... Just talked to owner again. He's all for you going to test fest so long as we aren't full. You'll have your own accommodations right? I am not sure what my own situation will be. Working things out with wife once we get a set date. Steve (owner) said that we will be sent out dates and invites next week. So within the next few weeks I will have an answer for you. Everything points to good so far :)

#382 ·
just went to holly best conditions every the snow was falling so hard and fast(hehe) it was great ridding on real snow had a blast
so whats next because everybody is confused where and when
Dave u have been appointed the ring leader ! ;)
lets get moving :)

#383 ·
AV is too far for most weeknights but I work from home on Thursdays so I could probably pull it off.

As much as I want to go ride today I think I'm taking this week off too I've just been feeling exhausted the last few days not able to catch up on sleep, etc.

Saturday I might be doing a bungee session on a backyard rail and I've got Monday off work so I will probably ride Monday. Can't do Sunday because I'm going to the Kid Rock concert on Saturday night.

#385 ·
if it was at my house i'd say no problem but it's going to be probably at this other guy (who I barely know) at his girlfriend's house... I do want to set up some backyard/park/playground random stuff soon and get everyone out to ride without the pressure of getting shamed by 9-year olds or the expense of paying for a lift ticket so I'll keep y'all posted

#388 · (Edited)
a buddy and i might be down went to Holly yesterday great day
took a hard fall in a tree run never again . got bucked on to a stump the size of a Maxwell house can .
dave where bout do u stay ill drive to holly
got more then enough room

oh and the boarder x track was pretty fun u get cooking around some of those turns

#389 ·
i live in Berkley - tentative on Monday it's a holiday but I might have to work. I'll keep ya posted.

FYI the bungee session was legit today. He's down to invite some more people next time so I'll let ya know if/when we do it again. Set up was a 15' flat rail we put it on a mellow decline. Landed a few 270s to bs lipslide and pulled out some sketch landings on hits where I should've eaten it! GOod times!

#395 ·
rode it today sounds ghetto but i have a trampoline i lifted my pinic table up to the trampoline you get a few good GOOD bounces on the trampoline then kinda transfer( hop)towards the table drop in and hit the box/
the box is only bout a foot tall and 8 ft long rode it all day but got bored after a while ( no one there)
i think u get more of a rush bouncing on the trampoline then hucking it for the drop in

#401 ·
Hey guys this weekend at the Plymouth Ice Festival they are having an open rail jam. I odn't think it's a contest, I think the O-Park is just setting up rails that anyone can hit all day both days. Saturday 10am-11pm, Sunday 10am-6pm. Thanks Jay for tipping me off to this.

It's a hike and it's gonna be super cold but I might head down there for a bit to check it out & embarass myself :D

In the meantime I got like 2+ GB of footage from the banshee session that Jon T and I did on Saturday. It's gonna take me a while to put together a nice looking edit but I'll let you know when it's posted!

#402 ·
went to holly last night. got to use the ski free deal at nite even tho it was a holiday so that was cool. it was pretty damn dead for a holiday. kinda nice. pretty much had the place to ourselves. re-activated this lil rib fracture that won't go away. frikken mess this year! idk dave thats quite a drive for me to the ice fest but it sounds like fun. be sure to get sum footie.

#405 ·
nah i wish i could but im not going to be able to. im lookin at this wknd or next week now.

damn i was just catchin up on my twitter cuz i hadn't been on in a min. just read that louie vito was in Otsego last wknd practicing for Dew Tour this wknd! damn i wish i would've knew, i would've headed up to catch some of his practice runs. you guys gotta help keep up on this shyt lol! not too often we get these boys in Michigan.

#406 ·
my bad... they had an airbag there and everything (I didn't go but heard about it) but I think it was only for the pros.

I'm unlikely for tonight, too... really want to get out and ride because this week at work has been hell (I think I already have 40 hours in and I worked on Monday even though it was supposed to be a holiday) but I'm f*cking exhausted right now don't know if I'd be able to ride.

Saturday/Sunday the ice festival in Plymouth there is an open format rail jam. I don't think it's a comp, and I don't think it costs anything to enter, you just gotta sign the waiver and ride. I'm heading down there for a few hours on Sunday.

#407 ·
Hey guys. I'm in Lansing. I'm new to the forum, boarding and all that.

My first time out was at Mt Brighton on 12/28. Since then I've been to stupid sledding hills around town trying to practice shiz and then another trip to Brighton this last Monday.

I wish it'd freakin snow already so I can keep practicing without having to buy lift tickets every time.

#408 ·
I wish it'd freakin snow already so I can keep practicing without having to buy lift tickets every time.
Tell me about it!

Best thing you can do at Brighton is try and find a friend and take advantage of the Ski Free deals on Mondays/Tuesdays. Or you could hit up Canonsburg where the same program is valid Monday-Friday.

That drops the price of a lift ticket to like $16 per person which is awesome.

#409 ·
oh! I'm actually learning with my girlfriend, I had no idea about those deals. Thanks for that heads up.

We were guessing that the season here ends in February and the last time we can bet on getting out is somewhere around the weekend of the 12th. Is that about right?

She's originally from Calgary, we're both looking forward to getting good enough to go back to her homebase and hit up Lake Louise or other Banff resorts.

#410 ·
skifreedeals.com check it out pretty much every ski area in the state participates.

February 12 - nah not even in a bad year. February is usually the best month of skiing/riding around here. I'd plan on season going to St. Patrick's day mid-March. Most of the small ski areas like Brighton, etc. will shut down that weekend. The bigger resorts up north like Boyne, Crystal, Nubs, Schuss/Shanty, etc., will stay open through April 1 on a good year, I've seen them open as late as April 8 or 9. But they're almost always open through the month of March.

Last year boardaddicktd and I drove up to Nub's on April 2, it was 84 degrees and we were snowboarding in boardshorts :D

Even in a bad year we get the whole month of February and maybe first week of March so you still got 6 weeks, minimum, but maybe 8-9 weeks depending on how cold it stays and how much snow we get.

#411 ·
Well I have my official visit to Michigan Tech for football this weekend. I'm tempted to bring my gear with me, but I have a full schedule so I don't think I'm gonna have time to ride, not to mention 20 total hours of driving time in 1 weekend.

I'll hopefully be back at PK regularly after this weekend. I need to go stock up on shell passes. :cool:

#413 ·
I didn't see anyone down at the rail jam in Plymouth on Sunday...

Too bad it was a pretty good time all things considered. One of the features had broken on Saturday so all they had was this beginner-sized battleship funbox about 2ft wide but perfect for learning & trying new things.

There were only like 6 people riding it all day so we sessioned it for a good 2-2.5 hours in the afternoon. We busted out the GoPro and I slapped together a really short sneak-peek video last night. I'll put together a slightly longer one later this week with some better tricks probably.

Plymouth Ice Festival Rail Jam Short Edit