Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise..

4K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  sl33pyriceboi 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, need some help, went snowboarding the first in my life (31) yesterday, took a lesson and liked it. As a result, I decided to get my won gear and start going more ofen.

Went to the shop today, and told them that I wanted to get something long term (so I am not buying every 2 years). From my limited reading on this forum, I knew that the boots are very important so I focused on that first, the shop that I went to had a close out sale so everything was 50% off. The guy from the shop was very helpful and fitted me with some really nice thirty two boots (very light and comfortable), and I decided to go with the Burton custom bindings as he told me it was a good binding for beginners.

When it comes to board selection, because of their close out sale, they had pretty much nothing left in my size, I had a choice between a Burton vapor and a Rome (don't remember the exact name). When I went to check out another store downtown before I made up my mind (was going to go with the Rome), they had sold it. As a result, I got the vapor as my first board after trying snowboarding once.

My real question now is that I know the vapor is not a good board for beginners, however, will I be able to learn on it at all? or will I just be miserable with it? My main goal is just having fun with recreational snowboarding, but I do want to enjoy it. I got a really good deal on the vapor with the sale (less then 600 CDN). The only problem is that the store with the close out sale don't have anything else in my size left. However, if I have to, I will sell it and get a Custom (although in Toronto, the price of a custom with some discounts isn't much cheaper then the price of my vapor)...

Please let me know your thoughts, any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you a big guy? How big is the vapor you got? You're 31 so I'm going to assume you didn't buy a board so you can grow into it in 3 years haha, so there's a good start. However, if it's on the long side, it may be tough to learn with. The binding are good for beginners so that's a plus, but you're gonna want to swap those out for something more adjustable and more responsive in a year or two. Right now you have crappy 6 inch wide michelin tires on a ferrari. Also, ask any shop to detune your tip and tail. Burtons come real sharp and without a base edge bevel from the factory. This also makes learning more difficult. Overall I think it's possible, enjoy your new setup

G
#3 ·
I sort of know how the OP feels, being 31 and just getting into boarding now (I've lived in Ontario my whole life, though, just got to BC this past summer). To be honest, you may have jumped the gun a *tad* early, because you've only gone boarding once. I'm sure you had fun, but exactly what kind of boarding were you able to do, exactly? I mean... did you just pick it up instinctively, or (like me) did you need to be taught not to do things like lean on your back leg? I liked it form the start, too, but my first time wasn't that mindblowing. I made sure to have rental equipment and lessons for at least 5 sessions this season (used four so far). Now, I may have been uber conservative in this before buying my own stuff, but still...

Also, you could have looked for boards online, too. The deals in Canadian shops are still horribly expensive compared to in the states, due to Canadian distributors being arseholes. I just bought an Endeavor Live board, and it cost me 320 USD, and even with the customs fees, it's still going to be MUCH less than the 480 the stores in Vancouver were charging AT A DISCOUNT for it.

I'm not going to slam you for buying such an expensive board so early on. I'm a newbie myself, so it's all relative. But I would just caution you that with a bit more patience and diligence, you could have certainly found something more suitable AND much less expensive. All the same, I hope you have a blast with that board, and that you gain the skills to use it to its fullest! :)

G
#4 ·
even on a deal I wouldnt expect the vapor to be worth so much to a beginner, but the good news is that I think you can definately learn on it and use it for probably quite a while.

next time dont jump on something just because one shop is having a sale!

G
#5 ·
I am a beginner aswell(32yrs), and have only been out a few times but bought a board, binding and boots today because I was sick of renting. Honestly wearing rental boots really grosses me out :p

Mind you I didn't buy a vapor, I got a K2 AfterBlack, some Ride Beta UL bindings and a pair of ThirtyTwo Lashers. It was all 50% off mind you. less then $400 CDN for the set up. I completely understand your desire to have your own gear and not rent.

G
#6 ·
Thanks guys, your comments are definitely encouraging. I know I jumped the gun a little bit, it was just hard to resist when guys in 2 shops (not just the one I bought from) told me that I could learn on this board, and the price went from $1250 (although no one pays full retail) down to 580. While the other shop I went to today had the custom for 499... thought it made sense for $100 more.

The size I bought was 159, and I am about 5 7' 200 lbs. I will ask my shop tomorrow about the detune as well, thanks very much for the tip.

I definitely needed the lessons, and probably a few more, I am still trying to get the hang of it and therefore being able to learn on this board is very important. I was told that this board is not too stiff to learn on, it is just very fast... not sure what it means in real life so I am hoping to find out next weekend if weather is good. I am just hoping it's not so fast that I can't even react on a beginners hill.

Thanks again, and please feel free to leave any other opinion.

#8 ·
First...how the HELL did you find a 50% off on a vapor in toronto!?
Was it Boardsports at Yonge/Eg? I guess their parking lot sales is worth looking into?

At your weight, the board's a LIL short, BUT.... since it's stiffer than any entry board, you shouldn't really have a problem learning on it I think.
It'll definitely be a bit harder than an entry level, but think it'll help you progress quicker too.

Oh, and next weekend, 23rd, burton's doing a demo day at Blue apparently. YOu can try the custom you almost bought ;)

G
#9 · (Edited)
Thanks man.. I bought this at board zone at Yonge and Steeles, they have a massive sale going on now, but barely anything left. Every board is at least 50% off and they just happen to have one vapor left in 159. They have clothing on sale for a really good prices as well, picked up a special blend jacket reatil $370 for $129, again, selections are limited, but if you can find what you need, then it is a steal.

G
#10 ·
Wait, wait, wait, you got a VAPOR after riding just once? I'd sell it and get a Custom, it's a much more versatile board and is a little more forgiving than the Vapor. I think you might find you're gonna get thrown around on that board a whole lot until you learn how to link turns and everything.

G
#25 ·
My point excactly! I would have gone boarding for a couple of times see if you still like it, and than consider whether you would prefer to go freeriding or go to the park and do al that freestyle shit. I've been riding for over 15 years now (I'm 31) and since 2 years I own two boards, a 2001 Burton Rippey 158 (for the trick shit and the slopes) and a 2006 Burton Ducati 162, derived from the Custom (for the slopes and freeriding, I'm just 5'6").

But since you've already bought the Vapor and you would like to have some advice, I would sell the Vapor and buy a Custom or something similar. Although I think the Vapor for 600 CAN$ is a good deal, but not for a beginner, I think you're better off with a Custom. Keeping the Vapor is like having a Porsche when the speed limit is only 100 km/h. Also take your weight, lenght and shoe size in consideration before you buy your 'second' board.

Goodluck ;)

#11 ·
Hey Filmer did I see that right or is that dude smoking a methpipe in your avatar :laugh:

You should have bought the Rome (any Rome) if you ask me. There are deals to be had all over the internet and if you ask me, Burton makes a board just like any other high end company, only with a more painful pricetag. I think you will be fine on it but you could have spent less money (even after 50%off) and been just as happy, maybe even happier. Good luck and have fun riding! Still a few months left in the season so get out there.

#12 ·
See, what a lot of people don't realize is that prices in Canada are outrageous.
Plus it's rare to find boards localy at such a good price. You may think 600 is a lot for a board, vapor or not, but that is the cost that usually a Forum Youngblood retails at. And Romes only start at about 650, from what I've seen.
If he really wanted to get a few more riding days in this season, it was probably a good choice as he'd have to wait till the beginning of october before he could find any similar deals.
This was kind of a "once in a lifetime".
And as he said, the Rome was sold while he was having a smoke.

As I've said, I agree it may be a bit much, but in my opinion, it will help him progress quicker, especially after he takes a coupla falls, and realizes that he was to over compensate for the stiffness of the board. The problem with softer/beginner boards, is that we (I'm a beginner as well) get too used to having a forgiving ride. When we step onto a more advanced board, we're thrown around.
If he can begin his learning on a stiff board, anything afterwards will only seem like a piece of cake.

I'm not attacking your point of view Mr. Right, it's just a lot of people don't realize the prices north of you guys ;)
oh, and if you're gonna say "buy from internet", a lot of the sites only ship with UPS across the boarder, and that means if you're buying a $300 board, you're also going to pay UPS another 200 in duties, before taxes and delivery and whatever else.

#22 ·
^ for the metro vancouver folks, you can also ship your gear to blaine or point roberts in washington, drive down less than an hour to the border, and pay a small fee to pick it up.

usually online stores offer free ups shipping within US and when you come across the border you just gotta pay GST/PST.

pac hwy border patrol are usually quite lenient.. between me and my bf we've brought back ~$200 worth of goods bought online and they've let us through w/o paying taxes.

G
#24 ·
Thanks for all the feedback

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think I am going to give this board a try and see how I feel.

Just out of curiosity, if you were me, would you sell the vapor and buy a custom for essentially the same price?

Thanks!

#27 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think I am going to give this board a try and see how I feel.

Just out of curiosity, if you were me, would you sell the vapor and buy a custom for essentially the same price?

Thanks!
Keep it, ride it, enjoy it.
Steeper learning curve, but at least no hassle. there's no point really in going through a bunch of crap just so you can get a worse board for the same price.
Just go out and ride it. You'll get used to the stiffness, and won't worry.
Judging from your initial post, you won't be venturing into the park anyways.

#30 ·
^ I actually thought the vapor was the uber stiff one with the CF weave in it.... i just wanted to see how a stiff & light board feels, but I'm open to trying out the youngblood :) I wanna get a park board next year, most likely a Rome Machine at the ski/snowboard show, but it all depends on availability (haha, yeah, Im gonna have to go on the first day...lol)

lmk

#31 ·
hahah, well, you TOO can try it, but I was referring to wayshie since he's so unsure of whether he bought something way over his head.
I mainly wanted him to feel the difference between control and riding ability of 2 opposite boards.
But yea, you can try it too ;)

I was at the show on the first day this year (err..2007) and it was a ZOO!!! but I got all of my equip for 800, so it was still a good price. At retail(if we take the price stickers at face value), I would have paid about 1500.

#32 · (Edited)
I think it's funny how you two are like well you can ride it to when the dude hasn't even been like well yea sure you can give it a shot. I don't mind if I lend out my brand new $600 toy to people I have never met before.

And wayshie I would keep the thing because you know it will only help you in the long run. It will kick your ass for a little bit but then you'll get the hang of it and you'll be fine. What it is gunna do is get you comfortable with going fast and with a board that responds fast and catches and holds an edge like no tommorrow. Plus when you decide you move to a softer more playful board it will only be that much more fun and easier to use. I know I've been there, I went from a 01' Burton Bullet 169 which was super stiff for me to a Rome 156 Anthem, then to a Rome 155 Agent and here in a few weeks I'm gunna pick up a Rome 155 Graft Getting softer and softer, but I still keep all the others.

#33 ·
I think you misunderstood DCP. Krishan only asked if he could ride the vapour. and I offered MY board for the OP to ride, so he could see/feel the difference between a soft board, and a stiff board.

You 2nd paragraph though, is exactly what I've been saying as well though, so it's nice to see I'm not alone in that opinion.
It seems most people don't have faith in the OP ;) .

G
#34 ·
im on the same boat as you... im also 5'7" and 200lbs

i rode my friends salomon 157 for the first 5 times.....totally loved it...

then i looked into getting a brand new burton custom x.....

i was warned against this board beause its a stiff board and not for beginners...

however, i totally love the board.....it has wayyyyyyy more control than i got from teh salomon.....plus, as i get better at snowboarding, i will appreciate this board more......

btw, that board got my going on black dimond on my 7th time boading... =] (this is my first season)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.