Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - I am that newbie who got the vapor (with a reason), so please advise..
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Snowblower

I sort of know how the OP feels, being 31 and just getting into boarding now (I've lived in Ontario my whole life, though, just got to BC this past summer). To be honest, you may have jumped the gun a *tad* early, because you've only gone boarding once. I'm sure you had fun, but exactly what kind of boarding were you able to do, exactly? I mean... did you just pick it up instinctively, or (like me) did you need to be taught not to do things like lean on your back leg? I liked it form the start, too, but my first time wasn't that mindblowing. I made sure to have rental equipment and lessons for at least 5 sessions this season (used four so far). Now, I may have been uber conservative in this before buying my own stuff, but still...

Also, you could have looked for boards online, too. The deals in Canadian shops are still horribly expensive compared to in the states, due to Canadian distributors being arseholes. I just bought an Endeavor Live board, and it cost me 320 USD, and even with the customs fees, it's still going to be MUCH less than the 480 the stores in Vancouver were charging AT A DISCOUNT for it.

I'm not going to slam you for buying such an expensive board so early on. I'm a newbie myself, so it's all relative. But I would just caution you that with a bit more patience and diligence, you could have certainly found something more suitable AND much less expensive. All the same, I hope you have a blast with that board, and that you gain the skills to use it to its fullest!