Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarder missing at Berthoud
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

A few things about this accident.

Lot's of little mistakes added up to taking a life.

The victim had a beacon, left it in his car. I assume this is because his partner did not have avy gear.

Evidently they were planning on riding the 7 mile trail. Which by itself is not really threatened by avalanches and is about as safe as it can get to ride. There is a 100 year path that comes down from the Mines drainage. If that one gets you in Seven Mile, well god hates you. The problem is that getting into the 7 mile trail brings you under some avy paths. There are pretty safe lines to get through this but conditions contributed to them not taking that route.

Conditions as mentioned were snowing hard and very windy. Hard to see white out at times. So visibility was an issue. From what I have seen they traversed too high when they were trying to get onto the seven mile trail. They ended up smack in the middle of the apron. A loaded face that rips a fair amount of times. Jeff's partner was able to ride out, while Jeff most likely had the rug pulled out from under him.

He was not buried deep. Most likely that he suffocated.

I am pretty sure that the slab fracture I noticed on the Apron was the one that got him after reading some of the reports. From where he was found, and where they talk about the slide, it almost certainly is. We could have done something.

This is a stark reminder as to why we carry avy gear. Better to have a gun and not need it...

Last edited by killclimbz; 01-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote