Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Avalanche Beacon Rentals? Seattle area
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
oneandoneisone

I intend to take an avalanche awareness/ cert course and would like to rent a beacon for my first time out.
I am fully aware of the equipment that I need to be prepared (I'm an experienced hiker, who grew up in rural Alaska...so I'm pretty brushed up on wilderness survival and risks associated with out of bounds travel).

Avalanche beacons, on the low end are $200. I would be in need of two (one for my husband or my brother, who ever was traveling/taking the course with me). So, considering I just bought all new gear this year, I'm trying to save a little money this year so I can buy quality beacons for next season.

I've checked with REI here in town and they don't have them... unless the customer service person I spoke with didn't know what she was talking about, since I know they teach an avalanche cert courses there through local ski groups.

I'm asking about rentals, looking to be prepared for when I am ready to go out.... which with any luck, will be later this season.

p.s. I'm a newb to this board, but not to snowboarding. I've been riding since I was 15... but haven't had the opportunity to get to many mountains with decent back country options until recently.

Last edited by oneandoneisone; 01-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.
oneandoneisone is offline   Reply With Quote