Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Steep and Cheap
Thread: Steep and Cheap
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #1008 (permalink)
kimchijajonshim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr05 View Post
You do realize SAC is what started all of these. There was no chainlove, or tramdock, or whiskeymilitia. It was only SAC. They then expanded it to break up the gear into single "sports" and they may not have done very well so they are getting rid of the weaker ones. If this happens to all of them, I hope it is not the end of SAC. I would expect it to just revert back to a one site sort of deal like it was originally.

Having said all that, I will agree that the quality of the items has been decreasing. And when there are good items it is only in size XXXXXL. I wonder if this is because of all the discount sites around now that are not one sale at a time, but still offer significant savings (evo-gear, dogfunk, etc).
I don't think so, I think it's a combination of Backcountry buying less stuff and snowboarding manufacturers making less stuff. The opportunities to make money on close-outs or to offload something they bought just way too much of aren't there any more. This year it does seem to be primarily soft goods, which has higher margin than hard goods.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote