Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What Company Makes the Best Snowboards, & Why?

144K views 164 replies 59 participants last post by  BurtonAvenger 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Everybody has their favorite. I know I certainly have mine and its definately changed over the years as some brands have come and gone.

In your opinion, who makes the best snowboards?

Why ?

#2 · (Edited)
I like ski companies, just because their stuff tends to have a TON more quality in it. Don't get me wrong, core companies like Rome and Union makes SICK stuff too, but I've had more positive experiences with ski companies than core companies.

As for "best", it depends on what suits what YOU ride. Ie, a companies great freeride board may not necessarily suit you, who may enjoy freestyle alot.

G
#6 ·
well neversummer has a 3 years warranty and i love mine but, my fav board to ride and the one i grab the most as i head out the door for some sliding is my option. i have beaten the poo out of it and after 4 years still rides great. made in canada too........my home and native land.

G
#9 ·
currently the brand I fell in love with is BATALEON! by riders for riders with no hidden corporations behind it - so it's all about putting your money back where it belongs - to riders:)
...wait... CONCAVE! if you don't give a damn about philosophy, check out their construction. Maybe I am late and someone else started doing it, but as far as I know it's the only brand that makes the base in 3D - makes sense - decreases possibility of catching that nasty edge on the rail... ouch!
am not gonna bore you with tech stuff - if you feel like it go to bataleon.com and see for yourself.

other than that:
lib tech - went through a few of them, love'em!
salomon - still love'em, even though I broke one of the top freestyle models 4 years ago
morrow - same story as with salomon - although it was their 3d revert model with some wicked new core technology (about 7-8 years ago, dunno if they got any better - I know the technology is still the same) anyways love them, cause Todd Richards use to ride for them.
burton - crap. c'mon guys, we all know it's crap
forum - rewind 6-7 years ago - they had the best snowboarders in the world on 1 team!!! Thanx Peter Line

G
#104 ·
other than that:
lib tech - went through a few of them, love'em!
salomon - still love'em, even though I broke one of the top freestyle models 4 years ago
morrow - same story as with salomon - although it was their 3d revert model with some wicked new core technology (about 7-8 years ago, dunno if they got any better - I know the technology is still the same) anyways love them, cause Todd Richards use to ride for them.
burton - crap. c'mon guys, we all know it's crap
forum - rewind 6-7 years ago - they had the best snowboarders in the world on 1 team!!! Thanx Peter Line
burton isint crap as it is just way over rated cuz you have to admit if your bying some of there more expensive stuff its really nice

#10 ·
As far as experience goes I don't have enough to make a call on that. However, as far as research goes and mean, LOTS of research... Burton hands down. Burton has a rule, everyone that works for Burton HAS to snowboard a certain amount of times for the year with burton boards for feedback. If it snows alot outside they close the plant down & snowboard. Burton is super involved with there work & people that work for them. There isnt one company that does stuff like that.

#11 ·
EverBorN said:
As far as experience goes I don't have enough to make a call on that. However, as far as research goes and mean, LOTS of research... Burton hands down. Burton has a rule, everyone that works for Burton HAS to snowboard a certain amount of times for the year with burton boards for feedback. If it snows alot outside they close the plant down & snowboard. Burton is super involved with there work & people that work for them. There isnt one company that does stuff like that.
Ummm, yeah.

Not one company? Patagonia comes to mind outside of snowboarding. They encourage their employeess to go surfing on breaks. If it's really huge they go surfing. Unity closes up and goes snowboarding if it dumps in summit.
As far as development goes. Lib Tech is introducing and trying more new tech than anyone right now. Let's not forget. Burton put spinners on their boards which did absolutely nothing but look neat.

#12 ·
killclimbz said:
Ummm, yeah.

Not one company? Patagonia comes to mind outside of snowboarding. They encourage their employeess to go surfing on breaks. If it's really huge they go surfing. Unity closes up and goes snowboarding if it dumps in summit.
As far as development goes. Lib Tech is introducing and trying more new tech than anyone right now. Let's not forget. Burton put spinners on their boards which did absolutely nothing but look neat.
I guess this turned into bash other people's posts instead of "Just curious what everyones opinion on it was" and for the spinner comment, hey why not? A company has to consider style as well as everything else that comes with making snowboards. Besides when your the best...you do what you want =)

#13 ·
Just putting it out there that Burton is not the leader in research as you make them out to be. They have done a lot for the sport and have done a lot of underhanded things too. They make some decent product, but I can almost always find something at the same price that works better. Even their super light board the Vapor isn't the lightest board out there. Elan gets that honor.

#14 ·
EverBorN said:
I guess this turned into bash other people's posts instead of "Just curious what everyones opinion on it was" and for the spinner comment, hey why not? A company has to consider style as well as everything else that comes with making snowboards. Besides when your the best...you do what you want =)
Sorry dude, but based on various things I've seen of you while wandering around on this forum (saying Burton bindings don't fit on non-Burton boards, comparing a Ride Decade to a Custom X based on conjecture, considering buying Burton Customs, picking up a Twin because it looks cool), I think it's safe to say that your research amounts to diddily squat. Burton makes some great gear and I have a lot of respect for them because they have remarkable advertising and a dominant marketshare in a competitive business, but there is no way that they are unequivocally make the best gear out there. If you had heavily ridden Burton's gear I'd respect your opinion as valid, but clearly you haven't.

#158 ·
*Applause* hands-down best post I've seen on this forum ever! Sorry dude, but the dude has a point. Personally, I think that Burton is great. They are pretty much top of the line in quality... and price, lets admit. I can agree with your assessment of the company to an extent, but being that I am very new to Burton equipment, I cannot say wether or not it is the BEST company out there. I'm sure that Burton is a better company than DC, but what about K2? Just because you don't hear about them as much as Burton doesn't mean that they are any less respectable. kimchijajonshim has a point at the begining of his quote and he is a little harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts. Idk how long you have been boarding, however by the things that kimchijajonshim claims you said, you just plainly don't know what you are talking about.
I'll be honest with you that this 2014 year is only my second season. I'm a noob. I joined this forum to ask questions to PROs who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT -emphasis on that- and to spread the knoledge that I have learned through reasearch and this forum. When somebody asks a question on here, they want an answer provided by somebody who knows what they are talking about. They don't need to be told lies by random know-it-all people.
I'm sorry to lay it down to you man, but nobody wants a person who is going to act as if he knows stuff but really doesn't on this forum. If you keep acting like a veteran snowboarder to people who need solid answers from actual pros, they are going to receive the wrong information, spend their money on what you endorse and then they are going to realize that they have been screwed up by an idiot on some snowboarding forum and they are going to get mad at you. They might even rage quit on the whole idea of snowboarding.
For example, if I wanted to know what size board I needed for powder boarding and somebody said that their board is up to their chin, I would go out and spend my money on a board that is too small for me and have a horrible time.
I think you get he point. Have a nice day,
Snowboard Sloth

#15 · (Edited)
I did not buy a burton twin because it looks cool i'm not really sure where you even pulled that one out of your ass & burton customs are a totaly normal binding, just because some people dont want to pay $350 bucks does not mean I don't know about the product. the thread was about say why you think the company you pick, is the best. not one person pick one and if your WRONG in MY opinion BASH HIM:dunno: Read things more carefully next time if you noticed on the thread about the burton bindings not fitting other boards I said "I HEARD THAT . . ." Never said I KNEW read more carefully please.

#16 ·
EverBorN said:
I did not buy a burton twin because it looks cool i'm not really sure where you even pulled that one out of your ass & burton customs are a totaly normal binding, just because some people dont want to pay $350 bucks does not mean I don't know about the product. the thread was about say why you think the company you pick, is the best. not one person pick one and if your WRONG in MY opinion BASH HIM:dunno: Read things more carefully next time if you noticed on the thread about the burton bindings not fitting other boards I said "I HEARD THAT . . ." Never said I KNEW read more carefully please.
You seem to have mistaken debate for bashing. I am simply pointing out that your stance is very poorly argued. Burton's the best because you researched it online, not because you rode it? Again, the internet is a very poor research for information unless you know exactly where to look. Burton's the best because they encourage folks to snowboard? I know at least a few companies give their employees the day off when it dumps and they get a chance at a pow day. I suspect most of them do, at least the privately owned ones (Capita, Rome, etc.). The only difference is they don't publish useless press releases when they do it (zing!).

Anyway, I am contesting your argument and your general credibility of your advice, so understand that I'm not attacking you personally, nor is killclimbz. So please stop taking it as such. It's an internet forum and I try not to go out of my way to antagonize folks unnecessarily.

#17 ·
I'll be the first one to throw it out there: Rome.

Clearly, since they are the only boards I have purchased, they are my favorite. I don't have much cash so I have to love a board to buy it. I think they have great style and their boards have always worked really well for me. I don't care much for their clothes, but that wasn't in the topic title, hehe. Anyways, my Anthem is a 2004 and still going strong and I hope my Design lasts even longer.

G
#18 ·
I like Unity Snowboards for making me my Origins - bombproof pieces of plank, carbon kevlar, vectran and fibreglass. Springy, strong f@cking sticks, built to stomp and to snap me back in place if I forget which stick I´m riding.

I like Capita Snowboards for making the Indoor/Outdoor series, serious fun sticks. Can take a lot of crap, and is a great snowboard to progress your style on. I hear other Capita sticks are good, too.

If I may mention bindings, too, I want to say Rome and Union. Both kick ass.

#19 ·
I'll second Unity. The Dominion is year in and year out one of the funniest freeride boards I have ridden/demo'd.
Generally I gravitate towards the smaller companies. Neversummer, Unity, Rome, Venture, etc. They are not so geared towards mass production to the masses like Burton, K2, and so on.

EverBorN, I wasn't attacking you at all. I just disagreed with your statement about Burton. I pointed out other companies within and without the industry that do things you said specifically only Burton does. I apologize if you read it as an attack.

#22 · (Edited)
Here's my beef with what you guys did. the thread starter clearly states "Pick your company and why" thats what I did. It does NOT state you need high amount of experience to voice your opinion.. I clearly said that MY INFO is soloy coming off of RESEARCH and NOT experience, that way anyone who read my post and saw I picked burton would know it's from RESEARCH and NOT experience. I am still not seeing why you guys started an issue over it? It's almost as if you saw burton up there you would have attacked whoever picked burton:dunno: Burton is obviously not a bad company to pick, there the face of snowboarding for a reason... and you also brought up a surfing company? What does that have anything to do with snowboarding & snowboarding companies, this is snowboarding forum. just not understanding where you guys assumed I bought a burton twin for its looks, obviously I have to love the decals/paint to want a board but alot more things fell in place for the reason I bought the burton twin. For the burton custom bindings i'm looking for a average/decent bindings for a good cost I do not need the best of the best. You also can't just say my research is just WRONG that doesnt make any sense. I'm not picking burton to back up MY product I have a burton board BECAUSE of my research. If you wanna have a research war you will lose... Burton has so many boards on the top 10 lists for the last 10 years, Awards, GREAT reviews on just about EVERY burton product made. Like I said before there the face of snowboarding for a reason =/

#23 ·
Top 10 boards for the last top 10 years. Sounds like you're a transworld subscriber. News flash good wood is a crock of shit. Also you seem to have gotten overly butt hurt that people pointed out some flaws in your thinking, which incase you didn't know it is a form of debate.

Realistically there is NO one best company its all personal preference. Frankly I find products from all companies I love and I hate. I can guarantee I've probably ridden more boards from most companies than any one person on this forum. With saying that I can safely say what you have used as research is not even 10% of what you can do to actually find out about a product. Most people that say Burton haven't ridden much else and are on it, 10 years ago I rocked head to toe Burton, the company changed and with it my tastes. But getting overly butt hurt when people debate with your statements is retarded. Metal up son.

#24 ·
BurtonAvenger said:
Top 10 boards for the last top 10 years. Sounds like you're a transworld subscriber. News flash good wood is a crock of shit. Also you seem to have gotten overly butt hurt that people pointed out some flaws in your thinking, which incase you didn't know it is a form of debate.

Realistically there is NO one best company its all personal preference. Frankly I find products from all companies I love and I hate. I can guarantee I've probably ridden more boards from most companies than any one person on this forum. With saying that I can safely say what you have used as research is not even 10% of what you can do to actually find out about a product. Most people that say Burton haven't ridden much else and are on it, 10 years ago I rocked head to toe Burton, the company changed and with it my tastes. But getting overly butt hurt when people debate with your statements is retarded. Metal up son.

Think you need to scroll back and see what the problem was. . Then you clearly see there was no debate till I brought up there was problem. I dont think comments like "Your research is wrong" is starting a debate..? also "Let's not forget. Burton put spinners on their boards which did absolutely nothing but look neat." ~ "I think it's safe to say that your research amounts to diddily squat" Please explain nicely what this has to do with a debate..? I think tons of research on the product amounts to something, it's a little better then ridding ONE brand and just picking them because you dont know anything about the other brands, how is that valid? Research says alot and some of the things i named as the research I have done, is a very little part of what I have actually researched. No one else felt like debating on the otehr brands everyone else put? Guess you guys just had a problem with the burton post? That again...was clearly stated that it was based off research.

#25 ·
there is a lot of hate towards Burton and it is interesting. for sure it is easy to feel like you are supporting the under dog, but knocking the top dog.

burton did well to corner a market early on and make massive capital because of it. this capital is now used to maintain their market position thru an influential team of professionals and a shit load of marketing.

does that guarntee that their products are the doggy's dangler? course not. but at the same time, it doesn't suggest that they no longer try to make good stuff.

i have had a few burton products. some broke, but their customer service was quick, courteous and generous. i have other stuff that still works and i cannot fault it. is it the best? well i dunno, and i won't know until i have tried absolutely everything that is out there! does it work for me tho? hells yeah. so who cares? let's go riding!

remember, opinions are like arseholes! we've all got one!

#26 ·
EverBorN said:
Guess you guys just had a problem with the burton post? That again...was clearly stated that it was based off research.
Your Burton post stated things as fact which were certainly not true. I just pointed that out. If you going to say "no one but Burton does this" and that's not true, people are going to speak up. Sorry man, but people are going to say something. Especially on the intraweb. Which brings up another thing. This is nothing to get worked up over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.