Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Amateur Radio for Backcountry Communication

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cormier 
#1 ·
Disappointed with the pathetic performance of GMRS, my girlfriend and I are going to take the HAM Exam and get an amateur radio license. We'd like to have reliable radio communication for snowboarding, mountain biking and hiking and the amateur bands seem to be the best bet.

Anyone done this?

I'm looking at the Yaesu FT-60R and Wouxon UV2D dual band HTs.

See less See more
#3 ·
What a shock that a trucker uses shortwave! ;) That's cool a cool benefit to be able to pick up news bouncing off the ionosphere when you're deep in the BC.

Another cool benefit is there seem to be a lot of repeater stations run by local clubs. Frequently on top of ski resorts and other high mountains. Would make it easy to get full area coverage to stay in communication. Its illegal to transmit on GMRS/FRS bands with a HAM HT (despite being easy to do with a little software change), but I would be able to monitor other friends without licenses on the 467Mhz frequencies as well. Lots of lingo to learn for the test but it doesn't seem particularly challenging for the Technician class license. Gotta have some proficiency with Morse Code to get a General Class license to TX on the <50Mhz frequencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.